Thread: Bigger Babies

Default Bigger Babies

Well I had a fantastic OB apt today, and I thought I'd share...

Last apt he asked me how big *I* thought the baby was, as "you'd know" based on previous pregnancies...

Today he commented that my fundal height was slightly over, but said thats neither here nor there. Then I said it doesn't bother me, and he said it doesn't bother him either, he's watched a woman find it hard to push out a 5lber and a woman slip out a 10lber easily. He said the size of the baby means nothing, its how effective the labour is and he said that there wasn't anything him or I could do about that, we just needed to wait and let nature take its course and see what happens...

Have I mentioned I LOVE my Ob?

But what I love the most is that my gyno said to me I would need another c/s based on the size of my first...pfft...

So girls remember this next time you have someone tell you you'll need more intervention or a c/s or an induction based on the "predicted" size of your baby... And we all know how efficient predictions are

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yes, i was told to have a c/s next timke because Lily was 9lb 7oz. Thanks for sharing that Cailin. I'll just have to find a doctor who'll let me go naturally!

Cailin, Your OB sounds FANTASTIC! Lucky You

Nic

I've had two babies well over 9lbs and c/s was never even discussed as an option. IMO the biggest problem is the size of the shoulders (my last got a bit stuck and dr had to help her out) and not so much the weight.
    I think that in some larger hospitals they are too keen to suggest c/s as an option to try to reduce event of emergency c/s. A woman due at the same time as me (both having #1) was going to a larger hospital and they convinced her to have a c/s because the baby felt large, and she was only 8lb.

sherieb

What a great OB Cailin, thats excellent

Thats it Theresa! Its amazing the role your mind plays in labour...a very big part!

We have soooooooooo much to learn still about labour and birth, and how our mind affects it for us in the western world, yet in other countries they birth babies with ease. I just hope for our sake we get more ob's like mine who start coming out of the woodwork and less old school!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Pietta Guest

Hmmm well my lil mans heas was gianormous so i was told that i wouldnt be able to have a VBAC but then i was also told by a midwife that it depends on my next bubba.

Apparently when your baby doesnt fit it can be a problem but then i never dialated to 10cm- my body seemed to think that once it got to 8 thats it!!

Ryley was only 9 pound 2 so he wasnt exceptioanlly huge at all.

Out of interest he still has a huge head- After reading this Cailin i think i might go private- you seem to have more options that way to get a good ob.

That's great Cailin.

My Ob has told me that I need a c-sect with the next one. Have been giving it a lot of thought since Amy was born but I am not that confident that I can do it after a tough labour and emergency c-sect. He actually said at the time that she wasn't going to fit anyway...she was only 6 lbs 14 oz (3.1kg). I think we live close so maybe I will talk to you about getting your Ob's details.

Good luck BTW!

There is heaps of info out there on VBAC's and the bigger baby "myth". Pelvimetry's are pretty much useless and there's no real way other than a baby's head locking against a pelvis to know whether or not the baby's head isn't going to fit (and as you've said every baby is different). A gf I knew who's babies head actually got stuck, went on to deliver her second baby perfectly fine and the head size was bigger with #2 so go figure! Also keep in mind I have heard PLENTY of stories about babies who don't fit due to the positions the mothers maintained during labour. I read one birth story of a lady who had been told twice (2 previous pregnancies) that her pelvis was too small, and ended up with 2 c/s. She did some research and found a great team (including a private midwife) and went on to have a VBA2C by alternating positions and staying OFF her back! Water births & Hypnobirths are also other positive ways to help acheive that VBAC.

I'll be happy to pass on his details Gemma, let me know if you want me to PM you?

Goodluck Pee!

I'll keep you all posted with how everything goes! We have our next Hypnobirthing class next week, I'm excited!

*hugs*
    Cailin