Thread: Bio Oil

Question Bio Oil

Hi all
    Does anyone know if it is 'safe' to use Bio Oil while pregnant? It has Vitamin A in it and I thought that Vitamin A is no good during pregnancy but perhaps that's only for things you eat??? Does anyone know?? Thanks in advance.

Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I used Bio Oil during my first pregnancy with no troubles, I haven't during this one but not for any reason, I just haven't thought of it. HTH

I Love Bio Oil, I have practically been bathing in it for all of this pregancy. I started off using something else but it didn't do anything for my stretch marks, since I have been using the bio oil i have noticed a huge change in the appearance of the stretchies. Its even nice to use the residue from your hands to rub onto your face

It's excessive amounts of vitamin A that are the problem, I suspect you would have ingest an enormous amount of bio oil for it to be a problem!! Still chat to your doctor/midwife if you are concerned.

~Belinda~ Guest

I used Bio Oil every day through my pregnancy, I only have one tiny stretch mark right down the bottom...! It's awesome stuff, I really don't think it would be a problem! My little girl is perfect!!

The smell of it gave me headaches almost instantly! It's got one strong perfume!

I think it is mostly used during pregnancy, but I wouldn't touch it, coz it's full of mineral oil.

There are some lovely natural belly balms out there. I used one from Beauty & the Bees. Smells lovely and is all natural oils.. no petro-chemicals.

Default bio oil

Hi all, I used Bio Oil for my last two pregnancies,and Ive just had baby number 5 and the chemist lady who originally told me about it said it was good for your healing scar after having a c-section,which I did for baby number 5.I notced a big difference in the colour of my scar and it has definately lightened the scar, it also took away the ichiness along the scar. and also i was using a little bit on the cheeks of my face and the brown blotches have lightened also,iam very happy with this product.:

I used it all through my pg as well, and didn't get one stretch mark during the pg, I did get a few afterwards but am still using it now and they are fading as well. I also occasionally use it on my face and find that it is great. As far as the vit A goes it is an intake of excessive amounts that need to be avoided - particularly suppliments.

Thanks girls! I have been using it once a day for the last week or two and I really like it but I was just wondering about the Vitamin A thing. I used some massage oil & creme last pregnancy (from Pumpkin Patch, I can't remember the brand of the stuff) and ended up getting stretch marks just a couple of weeks before DS was born! Grrr!!! I think I'll keep using the Bio Oil for now and ask my OBS when I see him in 2 weeks time unless I find something bad out about it before then...

~Belinda~ Guest

Seriously, what don't people say is bad for you through your pregnancy? It's neverending.

I looked at the Bio Oil for my appendix scar (big cut on belly due to being 18 weeks preg at the time) but wasn't sure on the Vitamin A bit either so instead I picked up some Palmers Scar Serum and have worked that into my appendix scar and it has worked a treat even though my scar was stretching as my belly has been growing. As an all over belly/body cream I have just been using a sorbolene with vitamin E and haven't got any stretchmarks yet.

It's recommended for use in pregnancy on the bottle.