Thread: Bladder infection during pregnancy

Unhappy Bladder infection during pregnancy

I went to my GP last night and was told that I may have a bladder infection. I have been prescribed amoxil. Has anyone else had this during pregnancy? is it something to be concerned about? Thanks

I had a bladder infection diagnosed 2 days before I got my BFP with Kynan. My GP prescribed cefaclor and assured me it was fine to take during PG. The infection cleared up within a few days, no problems whatsoever. It's something that's best to get treated though, as Emma said.

All the best! Hope those antibiotics work for you quickly!

I had amoxil for something else not long ago - maybe two or three weeks ago? Perfectly fine to take. I checked it with my doctor, the pharmacist I bought it from, the three pharmacists at work AND the MIMS!!!!! My only complaint was it gave me thrush which I was able to clear up with Canasten Cream. But perfectly ok to use in PG. Hope the infection clears up quickly.

MG

Fire Fly Guest

I was constantly getting them through my first pregnancy. Some women are cerceptable (s) to them while pg. I was given Keflex and it was fine to take while pg.

I have a bladder infection at the moment and am taking Keflex...it is horrible to have one but I suffer from them normally so was just waiting for them to start again. I hope yours clears up soon. Take care

Yes I have had one, too. Nothing to be concerned about as long as you get it treated.

Hi Ladies

Warning may be TMI!

How do you know if you have a bladder infection?? I've never had one before but this morning (sorry if TMI!) my urine seemed a bit more yellow than usual and maybe a bit cloudy. Since then I have had a couple of glasses of water and now it seems to be clear. Could I have an infection do you think?

I know if I've got a UTI or bladder infection when I need to pee all the time but it's only in small amounts and it hurts a lot!

Babushka Doll Guest

Lis, doesn't sound like a infection BUT - if you are worried you should see your GP. Usually (well in my case) a bladder infection is very painful, you constantly feel like you need to go, and when you do its only a few (burning) drops, and then the feeling like your bladder is contracting razors... ouch they are awful and best treated as soon as you feel any symptoms - BTW ural does nothing for me!

Thanks Bdoll and Angel. I went to my OB yesterday and I don't have an infection....the cloudy pee apparently is common in pg and may also be caused by the pg vitamins I'm taking. Thanks again though, sounds like I will know if I have one!

I have just recovered from an upper urinary tract infection - so I actually didnt have the painful weeing or need to wee all the time or anything.... I was in hospital for two days on antibiotics through a drip and then a course of amoxil - it was fine but made me feel sick. Our little girl is fine though!!!

About the bladder infections - I know some women are a lot more susceptible to them than others, and pregnancy can make it worse because you might have some glucose spilling in your urine, but read up on what you can do to avoid them! When I got married, I got a whole bunch of bladder infections right in a row, and I didn't know why! The doctor didn't mention anything, but I read up on it on my own, and discovered what I'm sure many of you already know - pee after sex! I'm sure I was particularly ignorant about this, and I'll bet most of you know what helps, but just in case, I thought I'd pass it on.
    Also, drink lots, never "hold it", avoid caffiene, and wipe from front to back. HTH!