Thread: Bleeding after Glucose Challenge test TMI

Default Bleeding after Glucose Challenge test TMI

Yesterday I had the Glucose Challenge test (the 1 hour one) and tonight I experienced some bleeding from the bowel. Just bleeding, no No 2's and it definately wasn't coming from somewhere else trust me I thoroughly checked that out beleive me!
    It's totally freaked me out as you can well imagine. I've had some issues in the past with my bowel, most recently last year which resulted in a colonoscopy to rule out anything sinister, which were inconclusive.
    I had a haemmaroid after Angus but that totally cleared up years ago so I'm sure that is not the problem.
    I'd just like to know if anyone else has had this happen as I am hoping it's just a reaction to the sugar overload from that revolting drink and it may have irritated my bowel or something. I had no problems with it when I did the GCT with my other PG's. Why does this sort of thing happen on the weekends and after hours for me

Melinda Guest

Awww Sammi, how scary! How are you going today? I'd definitely go and see your GP or after hours doctor to get it checked out.

Hi, Sammi, Are you okay? I would definitely call the midwifes or your OB. If it could be related to your test, they would know. Good luck, sweetie

oh Sammi how scary!! I hope everything is okay!

BTW... the hormones stimulated in the test affect your pancreas which does affect the way your bowels work, so it can be related for sure.

I went to the Drs today (I had to wait till Trev got home as I din't want to kid wrangle today with the mood I'm in) and I was shrugged off basically. There was a bit more this morning and the Dr said he wasn't aware of the GCT being a cause. He seemed to suggest I have had a bowel infection of some type that could have caused it.
    Christy I'll remember that in case it happens again, thanks.

At least I think so When we have dogs in hospital with pancreatitis it isn't uncommon for the dogs to have a bit of blood in the poo. Diabetic dogs have higher instances of pancreatitis because the pancreas is involved, I think that the pancreas helps secrete insulin (please correct me if I'm wrong... I'm trying desperately to remember my diabetes assignment!) So in my mind if you are doing a test to check how your body reacts to stimulating the production of insulin then you are likely to stimulate the pancrease.

Sammi this is from the mydr website:

When the blood glucose level goes up

Blood sugar (glucose) rises;
    The pancreas detects the rise;
    The pancreas pumps out insulin into the blood;
    Insulin helps the uptake of glucose into muscles and other cells;
    This causes the blood glucose level to fall to its normal set point; and
    The pancreas detects the fall and switches off insulin production.