Thread: Blocked Milk Duct?

Default Blocked Milk Duct?

I have a tiny white spot on my nipple which comes and goes, it has been there forever (appeared sometime after Jackson was about 12 months I think) and if I squeeze it (sorry if TMI!) it is like a whitehead pimple, a tiny solid white bit comes out of it.

Is this what a blocked milk duct is? and would it cause any problems with breastfeeding? It is not painful or anything, and is barely noticeable, the little white spot does get bigger if I don't squeeze it to get the lump out every couple of days.

Also I didn't continue breastfeeding with Jackson, I tried so hard for a couple of weeks, but was in excrutiating pain throughout a whole feed, and no one suggested it could have been thrush, which is what it seems like it was. This time My BB's are really leaky already, I am 25 weeks and have to wear breast pads, is it common to have better or early milk production the second time around?

Min - I started leaking a couple of weeks ago, and have had to wear breast pads too. I think the white spots on your nipples are sebaceous (sp??) glands which are perfectly normal. I have heaps of them. I think they are supposed to secrete some kind of natural oils (like on your skin) to keep your nipples supple. I don't think you should squeeze them though.

Um, I have one of those, and yeah, you probably shouldn't squeeze them... but I do. Some have milk come out and one has the little solid but come out. I've been doing it since I was 4 months pg, and Ruby is now 8 months plus, so I don't think it's a blocked milk duct. Generally they really really hurt, and your boob goes red and hot and it would hurt to squeeze it.
    I leaked earlier for my second pg. but not as much as you! You might be leaking if you are doing things like squeezing bits on your boobs as this is all stimulation!

hmm, thanks for that Jo. I don't think it is that though, I think the sebaceous glands are more towards the edge of the areola, and they are sort of more lumps than spots. This isn't really a visible lump, is just a spot and is right on the very tip of my nipple amongst the little areas where the milk comes out.

Thanks Nickel, sorry missed your post. I was pretty leaky with Jackson too, but just not this early, can remember towards the end of PG, getting out of the shower and leaking like a tap, was awful!!