Thread: Blood Pressure

Default Blood Pressure

Just wondered is it weird to have differing blood pressures in each arm??

Right: 102/50
    Left: 105/60

The midwife wrote down the lower one on my paperwork & also wrote (R) next to it. I thought you're blood pressure would be the same everywhere...

As far as I can remember my OB and my midwife always took my BP fromt he same arm (the left).

But a friend of mine has just been in hospital having her baby and they took it from both arms each time. No idea why?

Not sure, I have never heard of that before though

Kazz & co \/
    Nicholas 26/10/02

hmmm I always had my bp done on the same arm (left) even when admitted into hospital with pre eclampsia. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Jo

always had it done on the side that the nurse was on at the time. Never from both.

Love :hbeat:

I've never heard of it being done on both sides, but maybe because your heart is on the left side of your body the BP would be a bit stronger on that side?? Just a theory anyway...

I asked mum who has had high blood pressure before and she said if she had it done on both arms it would be different. She has also had blood pressure taken from around her shin

The diff between both your bp's isn't significantly different anyway, tis kinda weird!!

And BP from your shin.... why?

Tanya

It was after surgery Tanya where she nearly lost her life, so she had numerous drips etc coming out of her arms already.

OOOOh ok. Now I get it. I though that was where she got it always.
    Tanya

ok... all I know about bp's is that one arm should be different than another because of the way the heart pumps blood through, so every time the midwives take a bp it should be on the same arm, the left. the heart moves the blood around your body in a certain direction so when you take the bp on an extremity like an arm it will differ depending on the direction your blood is going, so if your left arm has a higher bp than your right it might be that your blood is circulating in a sort of anticlock wise motion??? I'm not entirely sure but I think I remember studying something to that effect in bp's in animals for vet nursing...lol... maybe similar...

ive always had my bp done from my left arm, but blood tests from my right as it comes out easier from there hehe..

I don't understand then why she would have done both & then taken the one from the right arm :? Maybe I should ask next time

Debbie Lee Guest

Whilst on the subject (and I hope you don't mind me steering this around a little Sarah), I was wondering if anyone else has or had high blood pressure in early pregnancy? When I first went to the Dr. at 4-5 weeks, my blood pressure was on the high side (can't tell you what it was - I can never remember after they tell me). Then when I went back at 10 weeks, he said it was back at a safe level but he still wanted to monitor it. Now, about 4 years ago, another Dr. was so concerned about my blood pressure that I had to have a 24 hour thingy attached to me. So, every half an hour, this machine would squeeze the living daylights out of my arm to take a reading. Was very annoying (esp. when I was trying to sleep!). As it turns out, my blood pressure was normal.
    It appears it goes up and down. I know it has a lot to do with my weight and I intend on getting back into walking asap (as soon as m/s and this stupid cold goes away). The Dr. didn't really give me any advice as to what I can do to lower it. When I suggested walking, he told me to take it easy! Hmmm.... any suggestions?