Thread: Blood tests when you have collapsed veins

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Default Blood tests when you have collapsed veins

I had encephalitis years ago, which resulted in months in high dependency and intensive care departments of hospital in a coma - so loads of blood tests and as a lontime result, my veins are shut down.

So, for the last ten years, every time a gp needs a blood test from me, i have had to go to our state's IMVS (Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science) for them to take my blood (lying down, hot towel compresses - the whole nine yards).

So my fear is - now i am pregnant, will there be blood tests at the prenatal clinics?

i dont know about the blood tests, but have you tried being really well hydrated before each test? We often have to take bloods from our oncology patients, andwe get them to drink lots beforehand.

That sounds horrendous. My veins are pretty bad too, but they usually manage to get some blood from my wrists.

I think they do tend to check blood work at least a couple of times during pregnancy.

Good luck x

If all else fails.. try using Emla cream, it's expensive, but at least you wont feel the pain of them jabbing your arm.

Hi Gigi

You can epect to have at least 2 blood tests during your pregnancy. The total number of tests depends on the policy o the hopital. Drinking lots of water before the test can be helpful, however I woul suggest that you tell them about your history and the problems you have with blood tests.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Hi, I haven't been able to log on for the last week, have been DYING to access this thread to read your responses, so at last i CAN today.

The first midwives clinic visit was Monday this week, and YES they did want my blood! I was terribly nervous, got sent to the Venepuncture Clinic of the hospital and the excellent nurse got blood out of the back of my hand, FIRST TIME and it was fine!!!! \/

However, i will use all your suggestions for next time, i wasn't well hydrated and i will get some of that cream. I do announce my previous problems with blood tests, but have found over the years, i am playing russian roulette, whether i get a nurse who listens and understands or one who reacts with cold eyes of "you're just being an attention getter and a sook". I am embarrassed to NEED to ask for special attention. Before the encephalitis, i had excellent veins and could have blood taken no probs ever.

Thanks for your messages, i dearly wish i could have seen them before MOnday but oh well, life happens, and the main thing is, the nurse got my blood fine - i felt like KISSING her!!!! I was so relieved!!!!!

thanks again all you lovely people
    O