Thread: Blood Types & Baby

Default Blood Types & Baby

I was just wondering about blood types and baby. DP is AB- and I am A+. With the anti-d injections do you only need those if mum is rhesus negative and bubs is positive? How does it work? Does it matter what blood type DP is?

Hi Laranna,

I have the blood type AB- which means that if baby has a positive blood group I will need the Anti-D injections.

85% of the population has a +ve blood type so in all likelihood my baby will too unless DP is also -ve as +ve is dominant over -ve. I don't know what DP is at this stage so I will be getting the injections.

If the mother is +ve and the baby is -ve I don't believe there is a problem but I'm not certain of this so perhaps a professional can answer this question better than me!!

But chances are because you have a +ve blood group, your baby will too so you probably won't need to worry.

Sorry if I confused you - I think I just confused myself!!

Hi Laranna
    Because you have a + blood group you will not need the Anti-D injection. In your case it does not matter what blood group your baby or DP has. It is only a problem if mum has a - blood group

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Excellent thanks for the info guys.