Thread: Brace for SPD?

Question Brace for SPD?

After my Ob appointment today, I have found out that the pain I have been getting in my pubic bone is infact SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction)

I have now been referred to the physiotherapy section of the hospital to get a brace.
    Has anyone here used a brace for SPD before? And did it help?
    Also... my baby is head down, but hasn't started to engage yet... will the pain get worse when the baby does start to engage?
    TIA
    Lisa

spiddles Guest

My ob said that heads don't usually engage until around 36 weeks...Last appointment it wasn't but now it is and YES!! Am really waddling now!!..sorry!!! Hope it isn't too painful!

Lisa
    A brace does help some people. Also when the baby is engaged for some women it causes but for others it helps to stabilize the pelvis and reduces the pain.

Lisa, my SS was in a wheelchair by 34 weeks with her SPD, as well as a brace :eek: I don't think she found it any worse after her bub's head engaged.

I really hope it doesn't give you too much grief, and that bubs arrives soon!

I had a brace... and it did help but I would still hurt after I took it off...

And this is going to sound strange but it holds you up nicely but when I took it off it felt like everything just fell back down and it hurt alot. I learnt that when I took it off it was best to lie flat so that I wouldn't get the sudden compression. Which was difficult if I put it on at the shops because I couldn't wear it whilst sitting (driving).

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thank you all for your advice.
    I am going to get the brace on Friday... I was kinda hoping that because I only have a few weeks to go, that I could put up with the pain until then... but it really is awful.

i dont have SPD but the muscles down there seem to be less then ideal ...
    i have been given an elasticky velcro support bandage thing it definately dosent make it worse but im not sure it actually helps !?! best of luck not long now