Thread: Brain ventricle

Default Brain ventricle

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    I have just received the results of my 22w scan, and everything is spot on except that they 'may' ahve seen a slighly enlarged left ventricle on the baby's brain. The Doctor explained it as a little bit of fluid...... but I am very cunfused. He said that the sonographers reccommend that the baby have a head scan within its first few weeks of life.
    He said its nothing to worry about at the moment. But I am so upset that there could be a major problem with my little one.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get some info? Or even anyone who has heard anything about this???
    I am desperate to find out as much as I can .
    I am absolutley devastated at the moment and any help would be grealty appreciated!

As you may notice, I am posting everywhere!!!

Thanks

Hi Nicky, at the 20 week u/s my boy twin was found to have a choroid plexus cyst with an enlarged left ventricle. We had to have a target scan done the next week, nothing was found to be worried about, and Alexander was born without any problems at all, and we were never told that he had to have a head scan.
    If I remember correctly, it happens in up to 3% of all pg's, but google left brain ventricle ultrasound, and you should ge the info you want.
    Hugs to you, as it is so hard not to worry about things when your pg, but remember, if it was something serious, your doctor would tell you straight away.
    If you want to know anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

ana130778 Guest

Default brain ventricle

Hi Nicky,

I can understand your worry.. I was told the same thing when I had my 19 wk scan. I went for a 2nd opinion with another sonographer as waiting until the baby is born, was to much stress... The 2nd dr measured the ventricle smaller this time.. he told me that larger ventricles can be seen in some babys as a transient finding between the 18-22 weeks...so in that time range.. sometimes they are bigger and then go down...

Try not worry.. I know it is hard... but go for a 2nd opinion for peace of mind...