Thread: Braxton Hicks

Question Braxton Hicks

Ok well I never had BH when preg with my daughter, not that I knew of anyway but lately I have been getting these pains that come every now and then and last about 30-40 seconds. I'm not really sure how to explain it but it's like I really have to go to the toilet, even though I don't and then it goes away. I know they say your belly gets hard but mine is still a bit jiggly to be able to feel it lol. Could this be BH?

yep, definitely sounds like BH to me

oooh yay thats exciting lol

I've been getting them too and I'm so pleased!

For a while (few weeks) I'd been having them but didn't really realise as there was absolutely no discomfort but in the last 2 days they've started to feel more like period pain a little and I can feel it not only around my tummy but down at my cervix. I'm really excited about it because to me it's progress and it feels like it must be doing 'something' to help eface me which can only be a good thing!....3 weeks to go til the due date!

Mine are the same Renee - they always make me feel like I need to have a wee lol.

Hi gals
    i have been getting BHs for a while too
    Is there any particular reason why its a good thing (just wondering esp at as I am only @ 24 weeks?)
    Not that I am worried or think its a bad thing but does it help with a good labour or something if you get them?
    Cheers B

Well, IMHO, I think it's a good thing because it's my body training for the big event! There's no exersize you can do to train your uterus, so you've just got to trust it to do it itself! I've been taking raspberry leaf and have found I've had a huge increase in BH's...which could be a coinsidence but who knows really.

I suppose you might think of them as negative if they're painful or are giving you worries, but I'm embracing mine and enjoying feeling my body do its job.

I started getting mine noticably at 16 weeks this pregnancy. Now they are so strong, that if I'm out walking or in the shops, I actually have to sit down as I can't walk through them, they knock the breath out of me. I get around 2-3 per hour, but I have a reactive uterus that contracts if I'm walking, changing position, bending up or down, or if I'm in a stressful situation. I'm hoping this means I will have a short labour (not too short) because my body is well and truly prepared. DP felt my tummy when I was having one the other day and freaked out because it was so hard, he wanted to take me to the hospital because he says he's read that that's the real think LOL.

I had them like this with my DD (the irritable uterus) and I honestly believe this is how I was able to get through a drug free posterior labour. It does prepare me physically a lot better having this much discomfort I'm sure!