Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braxton Hicks vs Contractions?

Question Braxton Hicks vs Contractions?

Ever since my OB appointment on Tuesday and the attempted ECV, things seem to have changed, the Nifedipine isn't working as well, I have been on 80-100mg (slow release form) for the afternoon evening and it isn't giving me much relief at all. I was on 40-60mg per day prior to Tuesday, and was coping a lot better.

The underside of my belly is very sore and I am more uncomfortable, my belly is rock hard and my lower back is constantly aching. It didn't used to start until 4-5pm, but since Tuesday midday/1pm is when it is all happening

During the ECV my OB had to stop as I was contracting, but she hasn't felt what my tummy goes like in the late afternoon or evening, when it goes very hard constantly, which is why I am on the Nifedipine. Thoughts have been I may have an irritable uterus.

With DD I never felt ctx in my belly as she was posterior so it was lower back pain.

I am hoping that it is just BH's still, but I don't know what ctx at the front actually feel like, or by the time I would have been getting them I was pushing and my mind was on other pain

I am going to try taking the Nifepdipine first thing in the morning rather than at lunch time and see if it keep the pain at bay, but if it doesn't work tomorrow I think I will give my OB a call and chat to the MW.

I haven't had any period type cramping which is making me think it isn't ctx that are doing something "major".

My contractions with miss s felt like really really bad period pain cramps. Like a stabbing type feeling - hard to explain...

hi Beema

i have only seen a few of your posts here and there so don't know too much about you but why were you having an ECV at 28 weeks ?

regardless if you are concerned definitely call your ob this morning, i hope things settle for you !

Quote Originally Posted by **Sunshine** View Post
    My contractions with miss s felt like really really bad period pain cramps. Like a stabbing type feeling - hard to explain...
    Thanks hun, that makes sense and what I am going to look out for, so far have only had the occassional cramp, but never anything that has alterted me to call my OB or go into hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
    hi Beema

i have only seen a few of your posts here and there so don't know too much about you but why were you having an ECV at 28 weeks ?

regardless if you are concerned definitely call your ob this morning, i hope things settle for you !
    My OB attempted an ECV because I have a septate uterus, which means there is a division/wall down the centre of my uterus towards the cervix, generally with this uterine abnormality an ECV is not an option, because there isn't the ability to turn the baby and ECV's aren't generally attempted until about 36 weeks or so, which would be impossible at that stage of pregnancy. In this situation bubs have to turn either facing your front or back.

At this weeks appointment my fluid levels had made a sharp rise (after being low for many weeks) and baby had shifted into a frank breech rather than footling, so there was an opportunity to try and spin baby now while there was a bit more room, we did achieve success but baby chose to go straight back after both attemps.

Also at having DD at 33 weeks, with no warning following PPROM and a very quick delivery, possiblly due to IC (Incompentent Cervix) which is being monitored, we want bub celphic as soon as we can if possible. I had no cramping, just back pain and was 7-8cm on arrival in the delivery suite.

Default Braxton Hicks vs Contractions?

The tightening and lack of cramping makes it sound like bh, are you getting the back pain?

For me ctx start in my back, I get cramping then my belly contracts.

I had no idea first time either couldn't tell you if I had any it was all so fast.

Hope it has settled for you overnight Vic, that it is just some strong BH due to the ECV and settles down soon.

Quote Originally Posted by black_rose View Post
    The tightening and lack of cramping makes it sound like bh, are you getting the back pain?

For me ctx start in my back, I get cramping then my belly contracts.

I had no idea first time either couldn't tell you if I had any it was all so fast.
    I have lower back pain, which is constant, as with my belly being very hard and tight, but no cramping so I'm of the thought that it is just BH's. I guess I feel a bit uncertain as I never got the cramping with DD, but that would be because she is posterior and this bub is breech so hopefully I would get it as a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by thepixie View Post
    Hope it has settled for you overnight Vic, that it is just some strong BH due to the ECV and settles down soon.
    I am hoping that is what it is. It went on all night was still struggling to sleep at 4:30 this morning, but I got a few hours after that, but as soon as I moved/rolled over, or got up, it contracted straight away

I've taken Nifedipine first thing this morning, and will do again later in the day and hopefully that will improve things.

Not sure Beema, dd1 was breech bum first and mine were only in the back I only felt them in my tummy for the last few ctx before the cs, but maybe it's because we were both early?

I felt the ctx in my belly with dd2 at 35 weeks, she was engaged though.

quick call to the OB might be in order too.....

The way i could tell mine apart were. Braxton hicks were in the front it wasnt until i started getting the back pain i knew i was having real contractions. And then it became like really bad period pain.

Quote Originally Posted by black_rose View Post
    Not sure Beema, dd1 was breech bum first and mine were only in the back I only felt them in my tummy for the last few ctx before the cs, but maybe it's because we were both early?

I felt the ctx in my belly with dd2 at 35 weeks, she was engaged though.
    quite possible, I wish this sort of thing was consistent so we knew either way

Quote Originally Posted by thepixie View Post
    quick call to the OB might be in order too.....
    her office opens at 9:30am so will give them a call and see

Quote Originally Posted by KaileysMummy View Post
    The way i could tell mine apart were. Braxton hicks were in the front it wasnt until i started getting the back pain i knew i was having real contractions. And then it became like really bad period pain.
    Thanks hun

my contractions were like my insides were being squashed together, kinda like when u make a fist that sort of action.. sorry not a great discription...
    they were sharp compared to my braxton hicks being more of a ache...

hope things have settled down with the nifedipine

Things started up @ 10:30am even with the Nifedipine this morning, my OB wants me to go into her office for CTG monitoring, because she wants to see what is happening, so when my friend arrives I will head over.

My ctx were more in my thighs than my belly, which apparently is a sign that the cervix is dilating. I'm glad you are going in though it sounds like a check-up might be a good idea.

Hope it all goes well beema. Fingers crossed that your ob can give you some answers.

Hope she can stop it hon.... Stay put Flicker! Upside down is fine, but remember inside!! not time to play outside yet!

hey beema. I hope everything is ok, please pop into our Belly buddy thread when you know wats going on.

the best way i can describe my tummy pain contractions was it felt like the pain u get when you get bad diarrhoea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast