Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast pads - what do you use?

Default Breast pads - what do you use?

Hi Ladies (Its me again with another question!!)

Just wondering what sort of breast pads other ladies wear and find nice and comfy? I have just started leaking a little bit, nothing major but started wearing breast pads this week to afford any accidents!

I've only bought some cheapos because I dont know the different but I find them pretty thick and my nipples itch when I first put them in!!

So what to you use?

I'm thinking maybe getting some cloth ones??? They sound a lot better and should save money in the long run I guess.

Thanks Ladies!

I use Rite Aid available in Coles, Big W etc for cloth ones I have used Tommee Tippee ones in the past, but found when the milk really came in they leaked straight through

Love

Hi Veronica- when i was breastfeeding I used the Pigeon brand. I found them to be excellent. They're quite thin but absorbent. I took the cloth ones with me to the hospital first time around, and went home with a wet shirt!!

I have one called Swisspers. They are absorbant enough, but I find them really itchy... So I am going to get a different brand.

Karina - Swisspers are what I have too!! They are very itchy arent they.

So looks like cloth is not as absorbant as they other stuff?

Also, is there a difference between breast pads and nursing pads?

i use cut up facewashers

Hi Ngala,

I have used Pigeon brand for all three of my babies and have found them to be priceless!! They are a bit more expensive than the other but because they have a gel based insert ( a bit like the huggies nappies) they are really absorbant and you can use them for longer!

Lynnette x

I use Rite Aid as well and have found them to be excellent.

Avent washables, they're fab.

As I am now only washing every 3 days, I find I need 24 pads (4 packs). I have 3 Avent packs and one Emma Jane pack - the Avent ones are the best.

I also have a re-usable gel pack in the fridge, which helps in the early days when things are sore.

I found the reuseable ones weren't absorbant enough in the beginning so bought the Johnson's brand (in the pink box) until a couple of months ago. However, I don't leak as much anymore (DS is 14 months) so I'm able to use the Tommee Tippee reuseable ones and I'm loving them.

The cloth ones are like the cloth nappies - the more you wash them the more absorbant they are. Just wash them every time you do a load from now to birth, Veronica, and they'll be more absorbant. I still leak a good 50-60ml (I also used the avent cups that collect milk for later) and it's rare that my top gets damp now.

I too use the Rite Aid ones, but use the Johnsons ones when my nipples are sore or sensitive as they are a little thicker.

I used cloth at night & at home, and pidgeon disposables if I went out. I didn't diligently hunt for cloth nursing pads, and the avent ones I had showed through my clothes.. looked like I was wearing saucers! LOL. I might try to find better fitting cloth ones this time. The girls in the cloth nappy thread can probably point you to some good cloth ones, depending on the material, I reckon they'd actually be more absorbent.

It's better for your boobs not to be wearing the waterproof/plastic that's on disposables, coz they need to dry and breathe. So cloth would be better.. just get some that aren't visible through clothes! hehe.

That's when I'm feeling really painfully full - but I have had 2fl oz before, which is 50-60ml. And that involved emptying the collecting shields too - when they leak they're worse than the cloth ones.

yep im leaking heaps. I need to wear the washers day and night. I can put two in each though.

Im allergic to most pads ive tried...so ive given up

nope...due to the money factor

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i started with the cheapies, leaked thru everything, was changing maternity bras and clothing SO many times per day it wasn't funny. I was continually checking to see if my bras were dry yet!!!

Ended up buying the cloth breastpads i had thought i would never buy (too expensive i had thought when pregnant), the Mommy's Touch ones from Natures Cradle, $12 a pair i think, i got three pair and they saved my sanity. They have PUL on the outer, which is waterproof, and soft microfleece on the inner, so no more scratchy feelings.

They come in a few sizes, i'm a DD and i got the large ones - they looked enormous, but as soon as i used them the first time, i realised, yep the sales assistant was right, i really did need that size to catch all the milk.

Many other cloth breast pads i have looked at online, are much smaller in diameter and aren't waterproof.

Ok, now you ladies have me interested in the cloth ones! I don't think anything like that was available when i needed them. (or maybe it was because i didn't have somewhere like this to inform me )
    I used to leak quite alot at night - will the cloth ones keep me dry?
    Can you tell me a little bit more about those cups.
    Sorry Veronica to hijack!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast