Thread: breastfeeding

Default breastfeeding

I noticed other women talking bout leaking breasts and feeling full etc.I have none of that and my breasts havnt changed since 1st trimester when they were really sore. Im just wondering whether this is a sign of things to come.With my 1st i had no milk supply but put it down to loss of blood from post delivery haemorrage.
    I also didnt get that let down feeling.Is BF psychological too? If you think you cant it wont happen? I am stressing about it all. 1)will i be able to do it? 2) Can i get over the lack of maternal feelings regarding BF.
    Does anyone else have mixed feelings regarding BF. Im confused.

Personally I don't think the fact you are not leaking etc has much say on things to come. I am still Bfing Glenn yet I can't express any milk & I am sure he isn't getting anything either. He only feeds at bed time for as long as it takes for him to fall asleep. Maybe 10 minutes at the most. You would think that seems I am still putting a baby (well toddler) to the breast that I would also be leaking, or at least be able to express milk. But nope. it was the same while Iw as pg with Glenn, had not been that long at all since Evans Last feed but even that day before I gave birth & probably even the day of his birth I still could not express anything. But I have never had an issue bfing.
    The Let down feeling is something that comes a little later. I think in the very early days, even weeks you don't physically feel it. Its signs from the baby (change is sucking pattern, jaw movement) that help you notice that it is happening in those early days. if you were not able to establish bfing because of the blood loss, then you probably never got to the point where you would have normally felt it KWIM?
    I think that Bfing is psychological, stress will have an impact on your supply, on your let down and probably on your baby. If your stressing about doing it, your baby will pick up on that tension & respond accordingly.
    I think that you may benifit by attending some ABA meetings or even a Breastfeeding Education class (a bit like prenatal classes, but just about BFing) if they are held in your area. ABA has found that parents that attend ABA meetings or the BEC classes that ABA hold while they are pregnant that they are more likely to have a succesful breastfeding relationship. If you keep attending meetings your also more likey to continue a good Bfing relationship with very few troubles, and any that you do encounter you will get over them fast. This is because of the support & information you ahve at hand.

You still have a little bit of time up your sleeve to get use to the idea of Bfing. If your happy to let me know your postcode I can find out the contact details of your local ABA group if you like.

Caddie, my breasts never felt full during pregnancy although they did leak occasionally. Your milk doesn't come in until after the baby is born so the bahaviour of your boobs during pregancy doesn't indicate how sucessful you will be at breastfeeding. Some women never feel a let-down - its not nessescary to be able to feel it to breastfeed sucsesfuly.
    I would really recomend that if you're worried about breastfeeding that you look up the ABA website and read some of thier articles and maybe attend some of thier preparing for breastfeeding classes. They cost about $70 which includes a subscription to thier magazine and free attendance for your partner/support person. Its much easier to learn about breastfeeding while you're pregnant than in the days following birth when you're a bit overwhelmed with your new baby and recovering from birth.

Oh also in that $70 you also get the ABA Book "Breastfeeding Naturally" normally worth $35. Yuo get that free with your Subscription. Its a very handy book & most (including myself) BFing counsellors use it during counselling calls as a reference. I think the free book promo ends in August though.

My breasts don't and didn't feel full or leak, with DD or now. But I was able to bf for 10mos with DD. There is certainly a pyshcological element to BFing, and it is a learn skill. Hope you get to do it this time around, but don't beat yourself up over it....

I will prob. go to breastfeeding classes soon, but in the meantime have borrowed that 'Breastfeeding....naturally' book from the local library - the ABA donated it to my library so I imagine they've tried to get one into every library? Check it out.

Thanks everyone.I will definatley join an ABA and i will go to my local ngala clinic to there library and see if they have that book. Anything to stop me thinking and get me on the right track.