thread: Can a baby run out of room?

Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

Jan 2008
    hoppers crossing

Can a baby run out of room?

My family are convinced my andy has run out of room. Cause my family reckons andy has and thats why he has turned. So is it possible

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

No.. its not. Tho being 37 weeks things will be getting a little squishy in there anyway.

May 2008
    Melbourne

nope i don't think its possible! the baby will grow to fit your body. but during the last few weeks they have less room to move around.
    all the best!

Nov 2006

Well i'll disagree and say yes.

My waters broke at 35wks for no apparent reason, no other sign of labour.

After dd was born she had hers knees up near her ears so her feet were level with her bum. Appraently babies will take a while to stretch out of position they were in the womb. juding by her position she was pretty squished in there.

So my theory is she ran out of room. She was a big baby for 5wks prem, 3.15kg and 48.5cm. I am only 163cm tall so not a lot of growing space to start with.

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Hi BeautifulMadness
    No babies cannot run out of room.

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

A baby can't run out of room.
    People carry babies full term that are 10 or 11 pounds and a lady in England carried her 14 pound (almost 7 kg) baby to 38 weeks. And people often carry twins or triplets almost to full term.
    So don't stress. My baby has moved heaps less its just that there isn't much room, but no they can't run out of room. GL

Add ~Serenity~ on Facebook

Dec 2008
    Perth

just wondering on this topic as i thought when they get to squashed they release hormones to say let me out..is this true...

Dec 2007
    Taking a ride on my grdonkey :D

I know it can certainly feel like they've run out of room towards the end!! I'm sure this one is going to be bigger than DD (who was 8lb 1oz and I think 52cm long), I'm much bigger out front and I have something pushing against my cervix at the same time the other end is up under my ribcage!!
    Don't stress, at tattoo_mama said, we (and they) are capable of some amazing things - bub will probably move less as it gets more squished in there, babies can turn any old time towards the end (by this time with DD, she was in position and had been for a while, but my GP told me the other day this one was still heads-up, so they're all different) - some don't turn until labour is already in progress...
    Don't worry, the little one is fine in there I'm sure!! Good luck!

Jun 2008

Well i'll disagree and say yes.

My waters broke at 35wks for no apparent reason, no other sign of labour.

After dd was born she had hers knees up near her ears so her feet were level with her bum. Appraently babies will take a while to stretch out of position they were in the womb. juding by her position she was pretty squished in there.

So my theory is she ran out of room. She was a big baby for 5wks prem, 3.15kg and 48.5cm. I am only 163cm tall so not a lot of growing space to start with.
    yea, I have wondered the same thing. A friend had a premmie - no obvious reason why, but baby was 56cm at 35 weeks. I think baby ran out of room too

Jan 2006
    Brisbane

I would say no. I carried twins to 38 weeks + 1day and they were 6lb 4oz and 6lb 8oz and they managed to stay in there that long. Sure they were pretty squished but they still managed to kick each other lol. Mind you I thought by about 30 weeks surely my stomach could not stretch anymore by it kept on going

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

May 2007
    Brisbane

I don't think they run out of room...

If a bub is born a few weeks early, and is a good size (like, size of a small fulltermer), its more likely that somehow (hormones or whatever, i'm not exactly sure how it works) a signal was sent to say "hey, i'm ready to survive on the outside" and labour started. The body is amazing, the utuerus can stretch, thats really part of its function, it's built to stretch and accomodate a growing baby.

So no, I don't think they run out of room. They get pretty cosy and squished, but thats normal.

(although, if you had asked me when I was 40 weeks... LOL!)