Thread: Can I eat...

Question Can I eat...

Olives from the deli?
    You know the type that are in a brine? DH and I are making home made pizza's for dinner and I have been absentmindedly eating the olives we bought. Now that my brain has kicked in I am getting worried.

I hope someone has some answers.
    TIA

Dunno if they're a potential issue... hopefully someone who knows will be by soon. Just wanted to say that, although it's perfectly natural that you will worry abt these things, to try not to freak yourself out too much about these things. I did at first, but have relaxed quite a bit. Eaten a few 'naughty' foods over the past few weeks with no disastrous consequences. The odds on contracting listeriosis from anything are REALLY remote. Don't stress hun!

Enjoy your pizzas!

I think that brine would kill pretty much anything. I can't imagine bacteria surviving in it.

Thanks Kat & Bron.

I'm hoping that the brine has killed anything off Bron, but I am still worried! I am usually pretty good at watching what I eat when pregnant... I guess we can all slip up though huh?

Yep, we sure can. I'm usually so careful but was away last weekend having lunch on the beach with a friend and ordered eggs benedict. Was so wrapped up in making sure the eggs were cooked through, I completely forgot about the ham Although it was a cooked breakfast, I'm pretty sure the ham wasn't cooked/hot.

I'm sure you'll be just fine but understand the worry once you realise, I lost a fair amount of sleep over that ham

Don't worry.

Olives are yummy. If you're really worried, buy the ones in the jars. At least you know you're the first to open the jar and when you did.

Yummmmmmmmmmmm.................... I looove olives at all other times..... let alone when I would probably eat anything.

Thanks everyone

I ate olives throughout my entire pregnancy with Madeleine (even vomitted them in labour *urgh*) but they were the ones in a jar. I guess my main worry was that they weren't in a jar and they were from the deli. I am hoping all will be fine... I am sure it will be. The plus is that they were really yummo on my pizza and I had no fears then because they were so hot.
    Thanks again everyone for your help and advice

Try not to worry hon. The risk of contracting listeria is really low. I'm sure all pregnant women have made a few whoopsies here and there, I know I have My sister and girlfriends who have had their second babies are always telling me about the naughty stuff they ate with their seconds and they're all fine. I'm not recommending to race out and eat all the 'no-go' foods but I reckon all the hype about listeria is a little bit over the top, IYKWIM