Thread: Can I use a solarium?

Default Can I use a solarium?

I know that solariums are not the safest tanning option in term of skin damage etc, but what is the reason behind the warning against pregnant women using sunbeds? Is it just to avoid over-heating or is there another reason specific to being pregnant?

oh wow, i would never use one whilst pregnant. The heat would get too much.

Im sure the heating has a HUGE amount to do with it. If you are in a spa/hot tub the water should never go over 37 degrees so I assume would be the same issue with solariums...

Most solariums I have used in the past all had signs saying not to use if you're pregnant. Why don't you get a spray tan?

I foud some info on a few different sites....

there may be a risk from background radiation
    It is known that having extra folate before getting pregnant and during the early part of pregnancy provides some protection for the developing baby from abnormal development of the brain and spinal cord (protection from developing spina bifida and other neural tube defects). It has also been shown that exposure to UV light lowers the level of folate in blood in tests in the laboratory. Researchers are starting to look at whether too much exposure to UV light around the beginning of pregnancy can lower folate levels enough to make the baby more likely to develop abnormally.
    Do Not Overheat ~ AVOID exercise on extremely hot days. Position yourself near the air conditioner or fan for aerobics classes. Do not use the solarium, spa, steam room or overheated pools. Keep fluid intake up before, during and after exercise. Drink small amounts of fluid frequently. Avoid exercise in the heat of the day.
    Many women find during pregnancy that their skin is more sensitive and that they are much more susceptible to sunburn.....avoid tanning beds until more evidence is available, simply because we can't be certain that there is no risk.
    found this one on a solarium website:
    We do not advise that pregnant women use the sun solarium. This is because as your body heats up it becomes distressing for the baby, please check with your doctor first.
    Hope that helps a bit...

Spray tans are definitely not safe either

Yep ditto what sez said!

I figure being lily-white is a small price to pay! I was a spray-tan queen last summer, but none for me now. I'd be surprised if you could even find someone to do it for you. My beautician says she has pg women asking for the spray but there's no way she'd do it for them.

Maybe all us pg chicks will start up a new trend, a much safer one!

Huh, what is wrong with spray tan??? What about other fake tan? I've been using it all the way through :eek:

Thanks for the feedback ladies. No need to worry - I am not going to go using any sunbeds! I was just interested if there was a reason other than the heat factor. The fact that the UV light affects folate absorption is a little scary!