Thread: canned salmon

maggie Guest

Default canned salmon

Hi, we want salmon mornay for tea tonight, is canned salmon safe in pregnancy? thanks

I was just reading about this. The NSW food authority recommend that you eat only 2-3 servings a week of canned tuna and salmon due to the mercury content. I actually read this after I had eaten a huge tuna roll that was probably about 6 servings, lol!

Lorin Guest

i have a tin of tuna a day. I havnt been told that you cant eat it often. This should be interesting to hear what every body has been told, because when i asked about it, my GP said Tuna was fine!

My preg book (New pregnancy adn birth book) says to eat oily fish for Vit A, Niacin, Vit B12, Vit D, and Calcium....is Salmon and tuna considered oily? Also, the FSANZ (food standards Aus and NZ) says 'pregnant women should 'limit their intake of shark (flake), broadbill, marlin and swordfish to no more than one serve per fortnight with no other fish to be consumed during that fortnight'....but other fish is ok as long as it's only 2 or 3 times a week.
    So go and enjoy some fishing Maggie!

The NSW Food Authority are continuing to advise pregnant and breastfeeding women to to follow the dietary advice outlined in the Authority's Mercury in Fish advisory. While reports in June 2006 by a US consumer group alleged a risk of mercury in canned tuna, the Authority's science team reaffirm its advice to the public of NSW that canned tuna can be consumed safely 2-3 times per week. The advice is derived from an extensive local evidence base - in terms of knowledge of diets, the fish we eat and its mercury content. Pregnant women, women planning pregnancy and young children should use the Authority's mercury dietary advice to safely include fish as an important part of a balanced diet.

Pregnant & breastfeeding women & women planning pregnancy

1 serve equals 150 grams
    Children (up to 6 years)

1 serve equals 75 grams

2 3 serves per week of any fish and seafood not listed below

OR

1 serve per week of Orange Roughy (Sea Perch) or Catfish and no other fish that week

OR

1 serve per fortnight of Shark (Flake) or Billfish (Swordfish / Broadbill and Marlin) and no other fish that fortnight

(Source: Food Standards Australia New Zealand )
    |

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Hi all,

my nathropath advised that tuna is high in mercury and best avoided - period.. that salmon did not have mercury and was the best, but make sure it is cold water (eg: not farmed) salmon.. she said that tinned Alsakan Salmon was better than fresh farmed salmon! But to limit tinned salmon to once per week as tin is not that good for you...

Sardines are also good, I know they are a bit smelly, but with LOADS of lemon juice they are actually quiet nice on toast...