Thread: Capsule position in hatchback??

Default Capsule position in hatchback??

Just read in another post about someone putting their carseat behind passenger seat in hatchback because of tallness and seat adjustment.

Hadnt given this a thought, but from memory capsule shells are pretty big and was thinking can you still put seats back a fair way or not when they are installed, i know the safest spot is in the middle back.

Hope anyone with a hatchback and capsule and can let me know before i get mine installed on friday.

Thanks
    Belinda

We had our capsule on the side in our laser hatchback and no you couldn't put the seat all the way back nor lean it back alot. Even in the middle cause it was so wide it would affect both the seats by not being able to go way back. So we left if on the passenger side so at least the driver could adjust their seat comfortably

love

Thanks for you prompt reply

Guessing i will have to put mine on passenger side then from what you have said.

Thanks
    Belinda

Belinda.. hi, the middle back is still the safest position if the capsule will fit there (depends on the make of both the hatchback and the capsule). The passenger side rear is the second safest, and driver side rear third safest.

Hope that helps.

*Megan* Guest

Just a quick question in relation to baby capsules and hatchbacks - I have been asked to check that there is a hole or something to attach the capsule too - as I haven't even taken notice of the ins and outs of baby capsules (or cars) I am not sure whether my car has one. It is a 2004 model Barina hatch so it should - shouldn't it? :-s

I guess this would be something to look up in the manual -but just thought I would ask in this thread...

Megan

Yep Megan they became standard in all cars so your 2004 car will definitely have 3 anchor points. It should be located on the floor of the hatch. it will definitely be in your manual though as to where they are.

Love

Hey firsttimer - I'd say there is, very few cars come out now without something...

Serendipity - if you have a look at the anchor pionts in your car it can give it away, my car (1999 Suzuki Xtreme) is a small 2 door hatch and it has 2 anchor points, one on each side but none in the middle, this is apparently because it is illegal to mount a capsule on the middle seat of a car that has a 50/50 split back seat (that is the split that separates the back of your back seat is in the centre, not off to the side like most common in bigger cars) and mine is like this, they don't allow it due to the risk of the restraining strap slipping between the seat and loosening. If you can not put the capsule in the middle, then the passanger side is the next safest. And you should have something like 50mm clearance between the front seats and that capsule, i think.

Also have you seen the Turn-a-tot car seats, I have bought one of these and they are great for smaller or 2 door cars. once installed youcan just pull a lil leaver that allows them to swivel around and face the door till you put bubs in, then they swing back and lock in place. - I thought they where wonderful, I have a bad back and thought this may help save it a little.

wow... think I have rambled on enoug now....

Thanks for the info

And mentioning the split rear seat, mine is actually off to one side so may be able to set up in middle, but yeah for seat recline i would probally end up with it on passenger side.
    Loving the idea of a swivel seat, will check that out, am only hiring capsule and buying car seat later so will add it to have a look at.

Thanks everyone

Belinda

*Megan* Guest

Thanks guys for the responses and thanks Belinda for the thread!

Megan

We used to have an '89 model Nissan Pulsar hatch.
    The baby seat we bought was a convertible (rearward AND frontward facing).
    It was Fisher Price brand, and said it was specifically designed for smaller cars... good thing it was, cause if it had been any bigger we would not have been able to fit it behind the passenger seat without the person in the front being very squished!
    So if you end up decided to buy a carseat, go for a smaller one if you have a smaller car.

Margot_In_Oz Guest

We have two cars and a capsule and/or convertible car seat will fit in my husband's car, however my car is very limited on space. It's an astra convertible and although it has four full adult sized seats (but two door), I'm struggling to get anything to fit (that's easily accessible).

I was told by various baby shops that the Infa Turn-a-tot is the smallest fitting convertible car seat available.

Although it just fits (with the passenger seat as forward as it goes), it is very difficult to turn (only turns one way and really scrapes the side of the car.

Is it legal and possible to have a capsule but install it on its side?

My only other option is to forget using my car for six months, and only use my husband's.

M

Margot - it is perfectly legal to put a a capsule on the side in the back of a car, however it is just preferable to have it in the middle, this is because of side impact. A baby is safest in the centre then next safest on the passanger side back and lest safest on the drivers side back. I will be putting mine on the pasanger side (it is a turn-a-tot) as this is the only place it will fit.

Margot - do you mean installing the capsule so it is facing sideways, instead of forwards or backwards?
    I sort of doubt that it is possible, just cause of the way the anchoring straps are designed, etc.
    Also, the reason why young babies need to be in a rearward facing position is so any impact or sudden braking of the car wont put strain on their weak little necks. So I figure that if they were facing sideways they wouldnt have the same sort of protection from that as they would if they were facing in the rearwards position.

Margot_In_Oz Guest

Thanks Amber, yes, that's exactly what I meant. Oh well, think I might try out a few more car seats, just in case any do fit!

Margot

Have you tried the Fisher Price one yet Margot? (I got ours from Target) From memory, when it was lined up next to the other carseats in the shop, it was a fair bit shorter/smaller than the others.
    I have used it in the rearwards facing position in my sisters 3 door Ford Festiva before and still managed to be able to sit in the passenger side in front of it...

Just an update that i got capsule installed in my hyundai accent and it fits fine, but if i recline passenger seat forward to let luke in car i cant click it back unless someone is sitting in it and pushing it back, so have the seat unclicked in, so thats the only downfall, thinking that could be dangerous in an accident because the unclicked seat could fly back into capsule with more force, might get hubby to look at trying to wedge capsule back and inch or so.
    The capsules these days are a lot smaller than they used to be though, lot more back seat room left.