Thread: carpal tunnel

DoubleK Guest

Default carpal tunnel

could someone explain to me what this actually is and how do u know if u have it??

Hi Rachy

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. In very basic terms is the squahing of the median nerve. This usually happens at the wrist and, in pregnancy is usually caused by swelling. The signs that you may have thi problem are a tingling or slight loss of feeling in the fingers. Usually the first and second fingers. Normally after you give birth everything returns back to normal. But for some people an operation is needed.

Hope this answers your question

I was asking about Carpal Tunnel in the 3rd Trimester forum, but no-one's replied.. http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22416

The quote in my post explained it quite well, and it described my symptoms perfectly.

Is there anything we can do in the meantime for relieving it?

I had carpal tunnel with my pregnancy and I found the best thing for it was to minimise computer use. Which for me was very difficult as I worked on computers all day at work and with study. So I had to cut back on recreational use. For me it got to the point where I could barely write, so I minimised writing as well.

I believe a physio or masseuse may be able to help. I was unable to see masseuse as I get on thinking I will be fine and when I did call I could not get an appointment. So if you think you might need help, don't wait around. Also ask first if the person can help you depending on the type of massage they do.

Tip for post birth, if you think you might be doing a lot of breast pumping get an electric pump. My wrists and hands were not fully recovered before I started pumping and I severely aggravated one wrist and had to wear a wrist support.

I had Carpal Tunnel with Paige. And it was so annoying. I had it in my right wrist (luckily I am left handed). I found that keeping it elevated helped and occasionally rubbing it with some deep heat (but only when it got really bad). It didn't help that I slept on my right side most of the time and this made it worse because the blood flow was probably a bit restricted from the pressure of my weight on my shoulder when I layed down (is this making sense?). I found that laying on my back and my hand on my belly helped alot, but I couldn't sleep on my back past 20wks. It didn't completely go away until Paige was a few weeks old, but every case is different depending on the severity to start with. It ended up affecting my whole hand by the end of my pg.

HTH

Melinda Guest

I had shocking CTS when PG with Jacob. I had it in both hands - all fingers! It was a lot of pins and needles and numbness. I could put my hands in a tub of hot water only, and not know it was hot! I had a lot of trouble using the keyboard to type, and to write as well. Basically doing anything too much was difficult.....I couldn't feel what I was doing.

My CTS didn't subside fully until Jacob was 5w old.

lucysmummie Guest

hey im a sufferer of RSI (repetative strain disorder) and now im pregnant its back with avengance! my doctor said it cause of all those hormones...lovely!

the best things for it are...

#1 puttin an ice pak on the area to reduce swelling
    #2 put a hot pak on your shoulder (even tho its in ur wrist, everything is connected IYKWIM so this will definatly help)
    #3 excersise
    If u goto a phsyio they will only give u excersises and releive the symptoms anyway so save so $$$ and just lift something really light. I use to bring my arm out to my side with something weiging 500 grams or less and try and pull my arm up using my LATS (mucsles just under ur arm pit at the back, the little flabby bit) if u can learn to use ur muscles differently ul do the world of good to ur wrists!!! i have suffered with RSI for 2 years now an being pregnant im just reinforcing all that I have learnt! HTHs and like the others said Im waiting for it to go after my bubba arrives!!!!

lucysmummie Guest

hey im a sufferer of RSI (repetative strain disorder) and now im pregnant its back with avengance! my doctor said it cause of all those hormones...lovely!

#2 put a hot pak on your shoulder (even tho its in ur wrist, everything is connected IYKWIM so this will definatly help)
    #3 excersise
    If u goto a phsyio they will only give u excersises and releive the symptoms anyway so save so $$$ and just lift something really light. I use to bring my arm out to my side with something weiging 500 grams or less and try and pull my arm up using my LATS (mucsles just under ur arm pit at the back, the little flabby bit) if u can learn to use ur muscles differently ul do the world of good to ur wrists!!! i have suffered with RSI for 2 years now an being pregnant im just reinforcing all that I have learnt! HTHs and like the others said Im waiting for it to go after my bubba arrives!!!!

lucysmummie Guest

#3 excersise

brodes80 Guest

You can also get a referral for a splint to be made by an OT (occupational therapist)

DoubleK Guest

thanks everyone, i have a very sore index finger on my left hand, its a weird feeling i can't really explain it... but its not numb or tingly..

i thought it might be carpal tunnel, as all i knew about it was it was something to do with ur fingers/hand/arm.

i dont go back to my OB for 3 weeks, but ill ask him if its still sore.