Thread: Cheese singles-be careful

Default Cheese singles-be careful

Went to the shops today to check to see if I could get some cheese singles to chew on when I feel unwell. But all except the actual packets of proper cheese sliced up are classified as a cheese spread and not made from pasturised ingredients.

So just thought I'd say be careful if I wasn't so paranoid I'd have thought they'd have been ok because they don't really look like a spread although they are soft.

Hmmm... I might just suss that one out..... I've been eating lots of cheese!!!
    As far as i was aware, it is fine to have cheese spreads. As long as its not things like Brie, or Fetta. Might go check this one out beore I eat anymore

I have had heaps of that Kraft cheese spread as well as the slices and not a problem, I also had a whole block of brie cheese before I knew I was pregnant and luckily there was no problem with that. I just read my cheese spread bottle and it doesn't say anything about being pasturised. I will keep my faith that it is fine though. It tastes too good to give up.

I looked on another website and found:

CHEESES

Soft cheeses such as Brie, Camembert, ricotta, feta, goat, Limburger, Montrachet, Neufchatel, queso fresco and Pont-Leveque and semi-soft cheeses such as Asiago, Belle Paese, bleu, brick, Gorgonzola, Havarti, Muenster, Port-Salut,
    Roquefort and Taleggio- AVOID

Processed spreads, cream cheese, cottage cheese and mozzarella - Safe
    Ensure packaging is intact

Hard yellow cheese Safe
    Store in fridge

Phew!!! I love cheese! and so does the little one!!! he he

Hope this helps you

hehe awsome stuff I asked my dr about it and they said if I was worried to avoid it because they are a spread, and arent pasturised but i only really have it as melted cheese on toast anyway so its so pipin hot listeria wouldnt be too much of a problem but I know if I had them I'd be tempted to sneak a few to chew on

Got myself some jam fairy cakes instead to cheer myself up its what my nan used to give me when I was sick when I was little or as a treat lol they are still so tastey even if they are pure sugar and crud lol

Yeah if you're worried about just avoid it!
    I'm not really avoiding much, apart from really soft cheese, alcohol etc.
    Not gonna go too stir crazy avoiding things. My baby is perfectly healthy, and my mum never had any probs when i was born... shes pretty sure they weren't really told to avoid anything... oh well
    Good luck with ur pregnancy!!!!

Funny coz my obs told me that cheese spreads and singles (like Kraft ones) are fine....

Oh I love those fairy cakes, I want some NOW!

As for that 'cheese' though, I don't know how you guys can eat it..........

CelticMoon - it is not necessarily the pasteurisation process that irradicates listeria. Listeria can and is found in pasteurised products. Having said that cheese spreads are called "safe" in pregnancy so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.