Thread: Chlorine and pregnancy, are you concerned?

Default Chlorine and pregnancy, are you concerned?

I have been reading a lot of articles online between links of chlorinated pools, the bugs that live in the pools and the risks of miscarriage and birth defects. The research doesn't seem to be very conclusive or well documented as of yet but there does appear to be some sort of link people are finding. Does this concern you? Would you stop or limit the amount of swimming you did? I googled "swimming pregnancy chlorine" and "chlorine risks pregnancy" for all the articles if people want to go have a browse. I think most of the studies are currently being conducted in the UK

I just got a year aqua swimming pass at the local gym, I'm going today and will be going next week but still a bit worrisome.

CelticMoon

swimming is one of the best things i have done during this pregnancy and has been highly encouraged my by Ob.

Thats what all the drs I've spoken with have said too, have you noticed any bad effects from swimming?

no not at all! If anything it relaxes me and eases pains

I started an aquanatal class about 3 wks ago and the instructor said that swimming and exercising in pools are great because you feel weightless, specially towards the end of pregnancy.

I havent found any bad effects of being in a chlorinated pool! The only thing that annoys me is that I smell of chlorine for a few days afterwards!!

If you were worried you could always find a pool that uses ozone instead of chlorine.

Out in the boonies I'm suprised they know what chlorine is haha is it safe to swim in chlorine with a subchorionic haematoma? Or if you've recently experienced one?

i think you'd really need to speak to your Ob

I know but it's so hard to ask a question without making an appointment and not meant to go back for another two weeks. Googling its mostly said no vigorous exercise if you've experienced one so I'm assumin a gentle swim to relax more than exercise should be ok, may just wait the two weeks just miss the pool so much!

i dont think that there is any major dramas with it. I had been doing it, stopped to busy, but hanging to get back to it, and so so many peoples, articles etc recommened it. The hospital i am going to even have classes.
    Maybe be aware of back yard pools that dont use enough chlorine to kills bugs, or, use to much then the recommend limit.

I did aquaaerobics with my last pg & in this one, 0-2 times/wk. I haven't heard or been told of any scares about chlorine, I was given the go-ahead by my obgyn b4 i started. The only thing the instructors say is to limit ur leg movements, u can do the arm mvmnts but dont full on jog or anything, take it easy, as u dont want to incr ur heart rate too much & cook ur bubba.

Thanks all, I asked the aqua instructor she said they had heard of the studies about chlorine and they do provide showers with soap and shampoo u can use straight after and recommended if I had any concerns to use them, I do but mostly so I don't stink my carseats out too badly on the drive home lol

I used to be a swimming teacher, working up to 15hrs per week in a pool, and am now 39weeks pregnant. I only left to earn more money working full-time, when I left, 2 girls were pregnant and they worked in the pool up until they were about 36weeks!

I swam and did aquamums classes up til 40 weeks pregnant.
    I never found any issues with it.

Someone mentioned ozone pools - if you can find one that uses ozone this won't be a problem for you. There are some here in Melbourne, but not sure about NSW.

OT - I found ozone pools great, I used to train in one 20hrs/week. The only problem was if the put in too much ozone the pool would go black - but at least it was obvious! Apparently even then they were safe to swim in, but we never did, and I doubt the public would have been allowed in.