Thread: Clothes for baby

Default Clothes for baby

This might sound like a silly question, but we are in the process of buying clothes for our first baby due in Jan and have no idea what to buy and how many of each. We have been given a few things, and are not expecting to get much in the way of presents from family. There are so many things for sale in shops - do we need sleeping clothes or daytime clothes or what?

Hi Rosy. Check out this article http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...s-what-to-wear from the main BellyBelly site, it is a very helpful article nad will give you some idea of where to start. Also, being a Jan bub, if you are in a very hot area, bubby really won't need much to wear in the way of clothes anyway.

I would advise getting muslin or light cotton wraps for bub as it will be summer and hot, but many babies still like to be wrapped for comfort. All in one suits or little bodysuits - the ones that do up under the crotch - are good. I used these for sleeping and daytime use, 6 -8 is a good number to buy. I found I could never have too many singlets either and a few pairs of cotton socks are a good idea, as bubs can get cold feet, especially when in air conditioning.

I have 8 singlets in 000, 6 muslin wraps and 6 bodysuits 000 as well. I actually think I have overdone it, but I actually haven't bought anything so thats okay too Last time I didn't have family around and bought up big, but Matilda didn't even get to wear some things as she was too big for 0000 after her first week.

Jack was a Feb baby and only wore nappy and singlet at home for the first few weeks and little short sleeve body suits for going out. We didn't need many and he started in 000 so we didn't use 0000 at all. He was only in 000 for about 6 - 8 weeks so don't go overboard on the small sizes. It's really not till size 0 that they stay in them for any length of time.

Don't worry too much, you figure out what you need as you go!

Melanie

All in ones, like bonds wondersuits are just great. Makes baby easy to handle. Half a dozen singlets, socks and muslin wraps. It's good to get socks in the same colour too, for quick and easy matching! We do the 'Coming home' outfit as a family kinda ritual too.

Rosy, my little bubba is due in the middle of feb (due to a c-section), and I have just bought yesterday white cotton singlets, white cotton socks, and a few little legless and short sleeve all in ones. in white and lemon with pooh bear, and teddies on them. So no matter if it a girl or boy, i cant go wrong. I am also getting some muslin wraps. I have only bought 000's as I know my babies are always BIG (smallest full term was 8lb 8, biggest was 9lb 4) Once we know the sex, i will then buys some colour appropriate little dresses, or rompers then.
    It is terribly hot here is summer, on most days going either near, or over the 40 degrees celcius, so I dont actually see bubba wearing much at all for a few weeks untill it gets a bit cooler.
    Hope this helps?

wow my ds was born in june and we live in tassie it is very cold at that time of year so i guess you can imagine all i think of when i think of teeny baby clothes are long sleved bodysuits bonds suits and jumpsuits with hoods LOL this time around we are due in amrch so maybe we will still have a few nice days to wear cute light clothing