Thread: Coffee Attack

skorpy Guest

Default Coffee Attack

I like coffee,but I am normally more a Tea drinker,but the last few days all I feel like drinking is coffee.Considering you are not meant to drink much of it in pregnancy,it just shows you cant help what your body fancies.Im into coke and fruit too.

Anyone got cravings? and what for

Tigergirl1980 Guest

If you have to have it but are worried about drinking it, drink decaf. It tastes pretty much the same but no caffeine.

skorpy Guest

Good Idea...I will have a butchers at the shops later

Watch out for decaff cola Skorpy - it gave me such a buzz I don't think it was decaffinated at all!

On the caffine front, I'm after cooking chocolate. I even had a squared after breakfast! Otherwise it's fruit and salty carbs (like really salty crisps, nachos, potatoes, chips... mmmmmmm I could just do with some of that now!).

I never drank coffee until i fell pregnant.I have too limit myself as i crave it!

I had coffee when I was pg. Not always decaf either. We had a chat about the Coke thing on here not long ago ... it's amazing how many people go crazy for it in the last trimester.

In case anyone is interested, Donut King make very good Coke slurpees (with real Coke).

I had a chat with the midwives at hospital about coffee & they said 1-2 cups a day is all good. They also said that some decaffinated coffee's have more chemicals in them so to stear clear and if you are concerned find out about what coffee's have more caffine etc in them. I did a bit of research & found that Gloria Jeans medium roast coffee beans have a very low percentage of caffine in them, heaps less than expresso or instant. So I drink 1 cup of plunger coffee a day.

oh goodness! I used to drink about one cappucino a month and NOW i am wanting one every day

I dont know what to do! Thank goodness I hate all Cola type things

I read somewhere that one or two espresso type coffees a day and up to 4 instant coffees a day is ok. Then of course there are those who say any coffee is bad but I think that is a bit extreme. I have my one instant coffee in the morning and then during the day I might have another one. I love cappucinos too but I don't get much of a chance to drink them!

Danni you could get a regular coffee somwhere and ask them to put foamed milk on top, so rather than using expresso for the coffee side of things use a medium roast which would have less caffine. Just a thought...

I have been known to do this at home because I love stirring the chocolate & foam... so I foam the milk at home & put it on top my plunger coffee, for my sweet tooth.

I should mention that my husband is The coffee Nazi and will not allow instant coffee into our house LOL... so he did most of the research the first time around when I was PG with Matilda and hadn't had a coffee in the first 10 weeks.

I've had the occasional coffee craving. Most of the time the thought of it makes me feel sick, but this morning, nope, I NEEDED coffee LOL!!

I've also had trouble when I'm at my parents place, they are "espresso coffee nazis" too and drink tonnes of it as a social thing. So to be social I've just had half cups and drunk them really slowly so I don't need a top up. It's worked well I think having 1/2cups has satisfied my cravings but limits how much I drink.

In Sweden it's not uncommon to drink 7+ cups of very strong coffee a day. It's just part of the culture I guess! Pregnant women very often cut back to 3-4 cups but many don't cut back at all.

I've become very swedish in my coffee habits in my time here but I've only had one real coffee since I found out I'm pregnant and I have about 3 decafs/day. I love the taste of coffee but I've actually found in the last 4-5 days that it's not as appealing as it was and smells/tastes bitter/sharp rather than creamy and morish. I've heard that your body tells you what you do and don't need so I guess mines telling my to stay off the coffee.

I love herbal teas which is great at this stage in my life, one I'm totally in love with is Rooibos which isn't actually a tea but a South African shrub with pin like leaves which makes a wonderful, naturally caffeine free drink (hot or cold) when steeped. I've been putting my pregnant friends onto it for years.

Coffee made in a plunger actually has a higher caffeine content than expresso coffee (something to do with the process). I have organic decaf which tastes great and gives me the psychological reward of having a coffee. Most decaf beans are processed with a water method these days. It's usually only instant (both decaf and full-strength) that uses nasty chemicals (I read somewhere dry cleaning fluid??!!) in manufacture to make it dissolvable.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird
    Coffee made in a plunger actually has a higher caffeine content than expresso coffee (something to do with the process)
    Thats interesting blackbird, its exactly opposite what the coffee barista told DH... hmmmm will have to find out more info on that one

I should mention that my husband is The coffee Nazi and will not allow instant coffee into our house LOL
    ....Christy, I swear our DH's are so similar.......same here.......hence our fancy Senseo machine......LOL

I have one cup a day of "proper" coffee and that keeps me sane........I do crave more, but crave my sleep more.........if I have a coffee much past 3pm, I struggle to sleep.......

LOL Lucy when I want to cook with coffee or make mocha muffins or something I have to brew a really strong cup of coffee & use that.

I love my coffee and have been really missing it. I have taken to either decaff or herbal tea. The other thing I don't mind having is a chocolatte. That way you can still have a hot drink.

Due 21st March 2007
    Jasmyn - 11/8/00
    Chloe (SD) - 6/4/00