Thread: Cold remedies in pg?

Default Cold remedies in pg?

I have a rotten head cold which is driving me nuts! What can you safely do/take in pg to try and alleviate the symptoms, and make it go away?!!!! It's just a bad time of year to be laid up, and all the mucus is bringing back my all-day m/s.........

Panadol is safe to take at the correct dosage, it will help with the congestion pain and headache if you have one.

I think that all of the other cold medicines are out I didn't bother asking when I had a cold because I figured that was the case.

I make a honey and lemon drink. I put some lemon juice in a mug and add boiling water, then a couple of teaspoons of honey to dissolve, it works really well.

Hope you get better soon

Also to assist with the mucu try taking a garlic horseradish and c supplement i have been using them to combat my hayfever. In the alternative what about a really garlicky meal or 2? My gp gave me clearance to use the tablets.
    Hope you get better soon
    Belinda.

Lemsip, Strepsils (any that dont say "Cough" lozengers), panadol and teas all helped me and are ok while pregnant.

Babushka Doll Guest

:mad: I have woken up this morning with the 'worse' sore throat. I found some Strepsils in my medicine cabinet and have had one, are they ok to take during pregnancy?

I hope its just an allergy and im not coming down with a cold for Xmas! bloody air conditioning at work - freezing then boiling! :twisted:

Eucalyptus oil - a couple of drops in a large bowl of boiling water, towel over your head and steam the cold out! Worked for me when I had a bad cold (DH has it now, all except it's man-flu) a week or so ago.

There is a Bioglan nasal spray that I used whilst breastfeeding. So it is probably ok whilst pregnant. Most chemist sell it, it is homeopathic

Do yo have a juicer?
    The vitamins and minerals from freshly sqeezed vegie juice are immediately available to you body. To the regular type of combinations such as carrot, apple, celery, spinach , add a whole clove of garlic (It can taste strong...so scull)
    Garlic is a great natural antimocrobal agent.

The old lemon and honey is good too.

Of course drink lots and lots of fluids and rest.

Babushka Doll Guest

Thanx girls, I went to the GP this morning as I felt pretty horrible! He said that I had a viral infection in my throat/nose (its running like crazy) and that antibiotics probably wouldn't work. He advised NOT to use Betadine throat gargle as it contains Iodine, glad i found that out, as i have some at home and would have used it.
    He said just to gargle with salt and warm water - ah la naturale...