Thread: Cold sore creams unsafe during pregnancy

Default Cold sore creams unsafe during pregnancy

Hey guys,

My naturopath works in a chemist so this morning I asked for some cold sore cream off her. She wont let me take anything that is unsafe during pregnancy even though im only ttc at this stage.

She said that most cold sore creams are "anti-viral" and are unsafe to take! :eek: I had no idea.

So she has given me a Nyal brand which is natural and contains camphor and menthol only.

I hope Im not the only one who would never have asked

Yeah I had a look into that as well because I have a real problem with getting regular coldsores. I suppose ice packs will become my best friend when the time comes!

When i was preg (mid 2nd tri) i got a shocker of a cold sore and i went and asked the pharmesist and he gave me one that he reckoned was safe. I can't remember what brand it was sorry.

Nyal? thats the one she gave me saying its the only natural one

I was told by the Chemist that there is no safe cold sore cream. Good on you for being careful whilst TTC. I just Vaseline and it just took a little longer to heal without the proper cream.

Sal Guest

Phew! I use Nyal cold sore cream all the time! I actually don't get cold sores but use it for dryness of the lips. So Danni, that one's OK (please tell me it is, I've been using it for weeks)?

Yes Sal, Nyal is the only one that is safe as it is natural. Only contains camphor and menthol.

Stay away from the "anti viral" ones-

Sal Guest

ah thanks so much Danni!

Nyal is fine but unfortunately for me it's useless
    I have a coldsore right now, I just get to put up with it

I use tea tree oil on my cold sores when pg. Apparently this was safe plus it helps them to go away.

Hi Danni - i just dug out the one i was given from the pharmesist and it's Nyal the one u're using - so no need to worry. And good on u for playing it safe while TTC - i wish i was as disciplined as u.

Melinda Guest

I had been told exactly the same thing by the chemist, but my OB told me I could use Zovirax!!! That was when I was PG with Jacob and I did use it and he's fine. The concern is with the active ingredient, which is acyclovir (sp?) however as I said, my OB told me I could use it and I did LOL.

I got a cold sore early on in this PG and couldn't be bothered going into it with the chemist so I bought a Betadine one (equally as safe as the Nyal one) and I have to say, it worked REALLY well......

I found the same with my GP. He said i could only use Nyal brand. I dont find it works as well though. But any form of treatment is better then nothing in pg.

My naturopath makes a cold sore cream herself (so is natural) which contains lemon balm, vitamin E and tea tree.

I only came across this a couple of weeks back, other than that i am allergic to all other creams anyway, they only make them spread even further.

The cream i got was from my chemist in perth. I am happy to send in mail to anyone who wants some.

I swear by it