Thread: Colouring or dying your hair

Sherm Guest

Default Colouring or dying your hair

Hi someone mentioned that its not safe to colour or dye your hair while you are pregnant because of the chemicals contained in the colouring agent and it seeping through - so something along those lines. Is that the case? Any opinions out there?

Thanks Sherm

There have been heaps of discussions in here about this (although I ahve no idea how to link it here for you to read) I am sure someone will know how...

I coloured my hair when preg with daughter & was told it's safe...

I haven't this time as I am trying to grow out some old ugly colour & figured may as well do it now whilst preg, but others have their hair coloured whilst preg!!!

Melody Guest

Me too Sherm, I do everything as normal. My hairdresser does tend to go a lot lighter on actual scalp contact (I usually only get foils so that is possible for me) but assured me that there is no danger.

Besides, I think you NEED pampering when you are pregnant, especially as you get heavier & find it more challenging to feel pretty & feminine. The hairdresser is a lifeline!

Sun Nymph Guest

I remeber asking my haridresser this when I was pregnant ans she pointed out that Pregnant hairdressers still dye their clients hair.

I dyed my hair sooo many times when I was pg... probably because the pg hormones had changed my hair, and the dyes wouldnt stick!

I have heard that as the dye is only on your head a short amount of time, its not really long enough for the chemicals to seep into your bloodstream.

It is perfectly fine to colour your hair while pg, provided you have no cuts or abrasions on your scalp as then the colour/chemicals may get into the blood stream then.

I worked with colours and perm solutions when I was pg with Nicholas and he turned out perfectly fine.

Ellibam Guest

i have coloured my hair and i still have a very healthy little one growing madly in my belly so ithink it must be safe now. probably wasnt years ago when they had all the really bad chemicals

Sherm Guest

Thanks everyone for the responses. Will definetely keep the appointment with the hair dresser for this weekend. Yay......!!!!

Enjoy being pampered Sherm.

kjorgo1 Guest

I think this must be a bit like that thing they say about not washing your hair when you have AF. I don't quite get that either.

Jorja

A client of mine makes skin products and we got talking about safety of products in general (nothing to do with pg). He was telling me which shampoos to avoid.. some he said you wouldn't wash your dog in! And I said what about hair colours. He just flat out said.. you shouldn't be dying your hair.

*shrug*

Anyway... I've made the personal choice to not colour my hair (there goes my excuse for being ditzy! used to be nice bottle blonde ), so I stopped about a year ago when we first made the decision to TTC.

Besides, I think you NEED pampering when you are pregnant, especially as you get heavier & find it more challenging to feel pretty & feminine. The hairdresser is a lifeline!
    This is my first time pg.. so I have no idea what it's like to be heavily pregnant... but I would think there's nothing more feminine than a pregnant woman! hehe. I can't wait! As for pampering.. I'll be happy just having my hair done, cut/styled.. whatever. Get a pedicure when my poor old feet have had enuf.

i think it is fine, it used to be considered unsafe, but obviously has now been proven to be safe.

although i have heard of people being roused on by old ladies for being so selfish!!!!!

Linda

I think it's the unknown that uneases me. It hasn't been proven or disproven I don't think. And I read in the thread that was linked to earlier that hormones can make us react differently to things.. eg the colour not sticking, and some were saying it burned their skin! So not knowing how the hormones will make me react to the chemicals.. I dunno.. I'd rather not.

btw.. I have no problem with other people saying it's fine to do... it's just I'd rather not. If anything goes wrong with the pg.. I don't want to look back and have any niggling doubt about whether I should have done something or not, no matter how small a thing it was. That's just me Hence making DH give up alcohol and caffeinne as well as me while we conceived! haha. Poor DH. He can have his beer now tho, so he's happy