Thread: Colouring hair

Default Colouring hair

For the first time almost ever I am visiting the hairdresser for a cut every 6 weeks and colour every 12 weeks (for how much longer I don't know!) but my next lot of foils is booked for when I will only be about 9 weeks. Is this safe or not? Should I wait until after 12 weeks or not at all?

Custardtart Guest

You should be just fine, but the smell might annoy you! Check with your hairdresser before you go and let her know that you are pregnant, most of them have been trained to know if there are certain chemicals present in the products they use that you shouldn't be exposed to.

Kerrie

I had blonde streaks when I was just over 5 weeks, was told by Dr, hairdresser etc it was safe. It took well to my hair and all was good, am going to have to go back again soon for more. I had the bag, no foils, so it bloody killed. Also last time I was pregnant I got streaks and DD is fine!!

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Bek

I waited till the second tri to colour my hair, but that was a full colour not foils.Like the other girls said foils are alot safer as they don't touch the scalp.The only thing I found was the smell was repulsive, thanks to m/s!

I say go for it!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

BellyBelly's website Obstetrician has said hair colouring is perfectly fine. I have done it with both pregnancies and have been totally okay.

I do wish they had more research on it though, but I doubt you'll get hair colour companies forking out for a study which could potentially curb their business!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Custardtart Guest

I think perhaps one of the issues is that pregnancy hormones can make you more sensitive to ANY chemicals, I know that I reacted to a face mask which was previously non-irritating.

Kerrie

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep my forehead got a burn from the colour which left an unsightly scab

But it didn't happen with Marisa.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Cool thanks for the quick replies everyone. Will stick to foils only then especially as blond on top and dark underneath is still slightly fashionable (and cheaper!).

Colouring you hair is perfectly fine during pregnancy, as long as you have no sores or adheasions on your head. I worked with colours, perm solutions etc... while I was pregnant with Nicholas and he is fine.

Bek because you are having foils it won't be touching your scalp so that is better IYKWIM.

I wish I had known this when I was pg with Paris I stopped getting my hair dyed in the first and last trimester (only did it in the second as I was told it was the safest). And I looked awful LOL! This time around I won't be so shy, but I will look out for the burning scalp ouchies!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Awesome. Makes me feel even better about getting my hair done on Tuesday. I'm going for a cut and colour so I feel a lot more glamourous than I currently am... Unless bubs comes early... *wishful thinking!*