Thread: Cord accidents - how common are they?

Default Cord accidents - how common are they?

A long time ago when I first started TTC - I was on another forum and there was a woman there desperately TTC after having lost her baby daughter pre-term because of a cord accident. (Happily she did concieve and went on to have two more children).

Ever since getting pregnant I have had a morbid fear this might happen to me. Which I know is irrational but it doesn't help when looking at the ultrasound to see the cord floating about and so much room for the baby to get tangled up in it.

Her only sign that something was wrong was the baby suddenly got very active and then nothing.

Today - I suddenly have a very very active baby. I've been feeling sporadic kicks for about a month ago but they've only been really random. Today my little one has been going at it for about 2 hours now. Is this normal or should I ring the midwife?

Kar, I have felt all my babies movements increase around this time. I think its because the movements are becoming stronger that you notice them more.

It won't hurt though to ring and put your mind at rest.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I agree with Nat. Also remember he/she is getting bigger and bigger, stronger and stronger by the day and having less room to move about in so you are bound to feel more and more. Of course if you are really worried about it and will not have peace of mind unless you speak to a midwife then definitely give them a call.

Thanks Natalie and Bec
    Things have settled down now, and just getting smaller movements now. Just a reasonably sudden change for me today and I'm a PALTTC paranoid! If I wasn't so paranoid I'd be giggling with delight!

Kar - I was going to say the axact same thing as the other two lovelies! You might just be noticing bubba's moves more because you can identify them and bubba might be taking up more room so you can feel it more. But, whenever in doubt and need reassurance - don't be afraid to call your health care provider.

Love MG

Try not to worry too much...I'm sure everything will be fine. If you've got a good OB/MW you can ring for reassurance, just do it - that's what they're there for.

You will probably start to notice much more clearly defined periods of activity (baby aerobics??) and rest. A bit like a puppy really.

Its normal to be a bit paraniod. God I was shocking. I remember being absolutely comvinced with my dd that there was something wrong. I used to lay in bed at night physically ill with a horrible feeling of dread. I couldnt imagine being a mum - it was just too good to be true. She's 10 years old now and perfect.

All the best, Kar.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yep I was paranoid too, we he moving too much or too little. It's completely normal to be a paranoid pregnant woman. Glad you feel a little more settled now but if you ever have any worries that don't subside defnitely call or see someone.

Kar,
    I truly understand how worrying it is... Cord accidents happen but rarely. Kinda like we could get struck by lightening but it's unlikely - do you know what I mean?
    Please don't think I am understating your anxiety - trust me I have a suitcase full if anyone wants some pregnancy baggage! But so it's in perspective for you it is rare.

You are half way!!! It must be so wonderful to feel your baby moving around. I am HANGING out for then.

Take care...

Hi Kar

Cord accidents that lead to the death of the baby are very rare. It is normal for your baby to have periods where he/she is very active, there will also be times when he/she is sleeping and does not move or moves very little. Your baby is growing and getting stronger, it is common to feel stronger movements. Later in your pregnancy, as your baby grows more, the movements will probably slow quite a bit, as there will be less room for your baby to move around.