Thread: cough medicine

Default cough medicine

Hi there,

I have just developed a very annoying, dry and persistent cough. I hope I don't get too sick. Anyhow, the pharmacist said I could take a cough medicine called Duro-Tuss. I'm a bit worried about taking it but I know I have to do something about the cough. Has anyone else had advice about Duro-Tuss or taken it?

If the pharmacists says you can take it, then I would trust it = they are more on to it than GPs with this stuff and if they know you are pregnant they will point you in the right direction.

Ditto what ^^ she says about trusting pharmacists, especially if you have one you have a good relationship with.
    Just don't go overboard on it (common sense, sorry, don't mean to sound like a patronising big sister)

Hot water with lemon and honey as well, just to soothe? And all that other usual stuff...

I took duro tuss when i was preggers with DD, was about 33 weeks and couldnt shake the cold i had. Was the only thing i could take and it helped clear it up and keep me comfortable.

I bought some recently and can't say if it did the trick or not, it might have helped a bit, but i was still getting terrible coughing fits (perhaps if I'd not taken it, they would have been worse?!) The thing I found helped was Strepsils - just the regular strength. Anyway the pharmacy assistant was very helpful and made sure it was fine to take - think you should be fine.

Thanks ladies for your reassurance. It turns out I've got a virus which features severe coughing. I think the Duro-Tuss in helping a little bit and I'm taking panadol to keep the temperature at a civil level.

Lime Slice - I agree with you about GPs. I saw one yesterday at a bulk billing clinic as I was having some chest pain. He told me to take some nurofen. I know that you can't take nurofen when pregnant it even says that on the box!!!!

Not sure how much help this will be, but I used to have asthma (I grew out of it!!!) and found that the asthma preventer inhaler (of which I had a few lying around for yeaaaaaaaaars but then I ran out well after my prescription expired) was THE best thing in the entire universe for getting rid of a persistant cough that refuses to go away. Only needed a few days of taking it, too. I've got a cough like that now and am out of those inhalers so on Monday I'm going to attempt to get a prescription for one. The other half is about ready to strangle me, I've been coughing for over 2 weeks. It wakes the baby up too

Short term, anything with codeine in it will stop a cough dead but I'm not sure if that is safe when you're pregnant. Doesn't say it is an issue for pregnant/breastfeeding on the box though, but it is addictive so you can't take it too long.