Thread: CRAMPING - Early PG (possibly 4-5wks)

Question CRAMPING - Early PG (possibly 4-5wks)

Before anyone dies of a heart attack no i am NOT PG but i have a friend who got a positive test last week, she thinks she would be about 4-5wks along.

She has had period like cramping but no period and obviously she has a BFP so were not expecting AF.

She was/is a little worried as she has had (relayed via FB chat):
    i just thought i was cramping coz i was going to get my period but then it didnt come and wednesday and thursday night i couldnt sleep on my side coz it would make me have abdo pain so had to sleep on my back but i can sleep on my side how it doesnt hurt
    I have explained that some people may get cramping, bleeds etc due to implantation but she has spoken with her Dr who has not confirmed much and basically said it would be too early for these kind of pregnancy symptoms.

I have told her to check out BB as you guys will all be a wonderful support for her through her pregnancy and should there be any issues it will be a great place for her to turn, i will be giving her a link to this thread so she can check responses in her own time.

So basically can anyone confirm for her that this is a 'normal' bodily reaction to PG and if you went through it etc?

I had cramping with DD1, not severe but enough to be annoying and scary.

M my friend i wish you all the best for your pregnancy, mums the word and i wont mention it to anyone IRL, i am sure everything will be fine and you will make an amazing mum, i am so so happy for you!

ok, now that the heart attack at you posting a pg thread has recovered...

i had cramping to the point of being doubled over at implantation. i knew from the moment it happened as it hurt so much (i also felt E VERY early so i think i'm sensitive or something). i also had cramping repeatedly through til about 12 weeks. cramping plus MS is so much fun!

if the pain is settling it's likely it was from implantation. if it gets worse or there is distinct pain on one side, she may need to have an early scan to confirm it's not an ectopic pregnancy. hopefully it's just normal discomfort though. if she is worried and her GP won't take her seriously, it may be worth getting a second opinion

Haha how did i know you would be one of the first to answer... i KNEW you would see it and be like WTF!

Thanks hun, every little bit of information helps!

Yep reassure her that cramping is and can be very, very normal in early pg! It's such a shame that it very much can mock those cramps you get when AF is approaching! I remember very early on in my pg that it felt like AF was coming with the cramps and tightenings etc I was having. It sounds like it's just her body doing it's thang.... uterus stretching etc.

Only she knows her body though, and if the pain is severe or getting worse she needs to get it looked at asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    Yep reassure her that cramping is and can be very, very normal in early pg! It's such a shame that it very much can mock those cramps you get when AF is approaching! I remember very early on in my pg that it felt like AF was coming with the cramps and tightenings etc I was having. It sounds like it's just her body doing it's thang.... uterus stretching etc.

Only she knows her body though, and if the pain is severe or getting worse she needs to get it looked at asap.
    :yeahthat:

I knew i was pregnant as the cramping i experienced were different, more sharp pains than my usual AF pains. But yes only she knows her body.