Thread: craving iceblocks..

mizzsocial Guest

Default craving iceblocks..

Ladies ive been craving iceblocks like they are candy, i cannot stop eating them.. someone told me on another forum that its a sign of iron defiency..this is the 1st ive heard about it..

i had blood taken for my iron count 2 weeks ago, if there was a problem they would have called me by now right??

I must say I have never heard of that and yeah I reckon they would have contacted you to let you know if there was a problem,
    maybe just ring the dr and make sure but it sounds a little weird to me it might just be because you want an ice block I get like that sometimes

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Well I just googled it and apparently craving of ice is a form of pica and it's called Pagophagia. And yes studies have apparently shown that it can be an indicator for iron deficiency anemia.

ETA:However I'm sure that you would have been told if there was a problem, if you're concerned maybe you could ring up and check

Oooh I didn't know that! I looved crunching on ice all through 3rd trimester.

Hmmm, I had anaemia about a month ago and was put on Fefol. Up until that time though, my iron stores had been fine however I have craved icy things right from the start! It helped with morning sickness I found. There was always a packet of Frosty Fruits on hand for the inevitable snack attack.

Lately it's been more about ice cubes in drinks and stuff. It has to be cold or I can't drink it. Weird! Glad someone else has those cravings too.

WOW that is so interesting well done Bec for googling it I would have never thought of that LOL (pg brain in full form hehehehe)
    Very good to know

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Lol, good old google

Hun I'm the ICE QUEEN I craved it fro the irst time I found out I was preggers with my DD in 02 and haven't stopped crunshing on it since in fact I sit here typing this with my Ice in a hugh plastic cup now I go through about 6 trays of ice a day, more when I'm pregnant.

I've never heard of it being an iron thing though?

mizzsocial Guest

sounds to me like a lot of woman crave this too!!!!

Yes i done some "googling" myself and read the same as you, about the iron.. I see my doctor next tuesday, ill know then if my iron is ok..

I craved ice blocks in the 1st trimester, for no other reason other than they tasted bloody good, and helped ease the m/s.

They were the only thing I could eat that didn't make me feel blurgh.

Any flavour of frozen ice blocks....even slurpees.

Orange was my favourite.

All i ate in my 1st trimester was ice and flavored ices - i had bad m/s and that was all i could eat. my DR said if thats all i could eat then have as much as i could! I dont have any iron defiency and little one is looking good on the scans - dont worry - the DRs would tell you if there was a problem

Wow, just read this and I have had huge ice cravings (I must go through a couple of trays a day) - and found out my iron levels are low - but I didnt realise these were related at all. Thanks for the info chicksters!

I craved icypoles and ice cubes in the 3rd trimester of both of my pregnancies, i had no idea it meant an iron deficency.
    8-[ Will talk to my gp about it this afternoon
    Thanks ladies