Thread: CT Pelvimetry in preparation for a breech delivery?

Default CT Pelvimetry in preparation for a breech delivery?

Has anyone had one? I am supposed to have one after 33 weeks to check the size of my pelvis as we are looking at possibly having a breech delivery - OB is supportive of one, with conditions, and is happy that I got DD out in 17 minutes.

I don't know a lot about them and was just curious as to whether someone has had one, what are the risks and any other information about it would be great

I have only found a bit of info that when it was a X-ray and not a CT there was a possible link between childhood leukaemia and the x-ray. Along with that the pelvis can open up to 30% greater during childbirth, especially if you are squatting.

TIA xxoo

Hi Beema.

I don't know about the ct pelvimetry, but I do knw that breach births have been done successfully for millenia without any scans.

From what I read up on with DS prior to him turning at 28wks, it's pretty much a hands off labour, letting the baby come out by itself, where the midwife/OB just supports the baby.

I was supposed to have a CT pelvimetry scan done prior to this pregnancy because of my CPD but no doctor would give me a referral as it is considered to be rather inaccurate. Basically you could have it done, and be told you can't have a vaginal delivery for a breech birth (or any birth really) due to pelvic size, when in actuality your pelvis will probably be exactly the right size for you to give birth with no problems.

Just my thoughts on the issue, I hope they can help a bit and that someone else will have more info for you

Thanks hun

Yeah that is my thoughts, I don't think I want to get it done, I think I will have to talk with my OB about it more tomorrow... she knows I am researcher so most probably wouldn't be surprised if I came back with more questions

I have been through the delivery "proceedure" with my OB and she said that it is definitely a hands off delivery, they have to bascially let bubs get out their own way, I've watched a couple of awesome Breech deliverys on hombirth net au and it was pretty amazing to watch.

We have also had so many scans with this pregnancy that I don't want to do any that we don't have to... or that won't really change anything

Beema - I had a breech birth with Leo. The birth itself went really well. A fair bit of work, but then I hadn't pushed a baby out before The Dr just pretty much stood there, wiping blood and stuff away and pointing things out to the other doctor and student who were in there learning. It definately is a matter of hands off the breech. She did give me a local anaesthetic in the pudendum at the start of 2nd stage in case she needed to use forceps to help the head out at the end, but they weren't needed.

The main thing the head consultant wanted to check was that I was progreessing well and that the baby was in the right position. He was frank breech with his chin tucked in, so we were OK for a breech. I pushed Leo out in 1 hour 10 minutes. His heartbeat was monitored the whole time.

GL

I had mine done before I was pregnant with dd2. In my case it was a ct scan. I don't think I would want to have it done while I was pregnant. My scan showed I had a slightly smaller than normal pelvis but that I should be fine to carry a full term baby and that there was no reason for dd to be breech.