Thread: Dental work during pregnancy

Default Dental work during pregnancy

I've been to the dentist today and have been told that I need to have 6 (!) fillings (serves me right for not flossing......).

Anyway, I'm in my 2nd trimester and am wondering if anyone has been told NOT to have local dental anaesthesia or fillings during pregnancy.

The dentist wouldn't be using amalgam fillings. Also, he's suggested that he could replace a mercury filling (amalgam) with non-amalgam (composite filling) at the same time - and I know he'd use a special rubber ring etc - but do you think it's safe to risk mercury outgassing during this time?

I'm a bit of a naturally-minded girl and don't even take panadol when I'm preggas, so having any form of drugs isn't high on my agenda.....

V. interested in people's opinions.

Thanks.

As a personal preference I waited until my babies were born before getting dental work done, and stuck with the non mercury fillings as I was breastfeeding. However depending on the urgency of the filling you might not want to wait, in which case I believe a local anasthesia would be fine. I am scared of the dentist so didn't go when pregnant as I didn't want to inflict my fear and stress on my growing babies.

the LA is fine during pregnancy and if hes using a rubber dam when removing the old amalgam fillings then its ok too, if he isnt them id wait on the amalgam, the new ones that need doing with the resin are fine!

I have resin and porcelain fillings, but I got them done before TTC, so that I didn't have to face anything major while pg.

BUT, just before I got my bfp, one of my wisdom teeth started to make a move, and it's really hard to keep clean, so I'm having it popped out next week. The dental LA is no problem, completely safe, and the dentist reckons panadol will be enough for the pain relief. I've never used anything stronger than panadol anyway, so it will probably do - I'm like you and hate to take anything. But gum disease has more proven risks to baby than Panadol, so that's what I'm rolling with.

Good luck!

when I was pg with DD2 I had a tooth CUT out under anesthetic (coz im a sooky la la and petrified of dentists)

Thanks for your replies. I'm considering having the fillings done, but NOT the removal of the amalgam (which isn't essential at this time). I know the dentist would use a dam, but I don't feel comfortable with any risk of mercury leaching out at this time.

Thanks guys :-)

I had a temporary filling put in before pregnancy and now I'm supposed to have it removed and a proper filling put in, as the dentist was waiting for the pulp to recede inside my tooth. I'm putting it off though as I don't want to deal with the repercussions of exposing the pulp if that happens. Seems safer not to open myself up to the risk of an infection. Only problem is the top of the temporary filling has come off so now part of my tooth is exposed but I don't think that's causing any problems... I hope not!! It's a tough decision!