Thread: Dentist

Default Dentist

Hi Girls,

Hope everyone had a great long weekend!

Just wondered what people thought about going to the dentist and if anyone knew what the 'official' guidance is on going?

I haven't been for 4 years ( :smt021 don't shoot me!), and I have a feeling I may need a couple of fillings, and I'm not sure whether I should leave it until after the baby's born, or go for a check up now to get it over with (I REALLY hate going to the dentist!!)

I've read that basically a dental x-ray is very low risk, but that some dentists don't like x-raying pregnant women.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
    Bertie

Wilson Guest

I just spoke to my dentist about this even though i'm not pregnant yet there is always the possibility now that we are trying and i need to have some fillings done. he said there is no known link to anything but prefers to wait until around the 5-6months as you are past the first trimester stage and not yet in the 3rd tri where you could go into early labour, this is just what my dentists said though i am sure they all have different opinions on things so i'd just ask your dentist what they think.

Lee-Ann Guest

I think the concern would be if you need a local anaesthetic to have the fillings done? Maybe talk to your Dentist and GP about it too. Although the dentist should have a good idea. I'd be a little concerned about having x-rays even if it is low risk. But your dentist might not even do them due to you being pg.

Before I knew I was pg I had an operation which included x-rays on my abdomen area etc, I would have only just been pg, probably 2 weeks. That scared me a bit, but I got as much info as possible, talked to the Dr etc which put my mind at ease. Plus seeing the scan with a healthy baby moving around also helped.

Melinda Guest

You can go and get a check-up, but make sure you tell the dentist that you are PG. That way they will know exactly what they can/can't do procedure wise (if anything at all is needed) and they can advise you accordingly.

It's important to pay attention to your teeth when you're PG, so I'd advise getting them checked.

As a dental assistant, and also a pregnant one, I have to say that every dentist thinks differently on this topic.
    The only worries I would have would be if you had to have more than one or two xrays and ifthe dentist uses local anaesthetic that contains adrenalin also I would stay away from the happy gas, there has been reports and studies on it causing miscarriages (you would have to be working with it to be affected though)
    At our practice we dont stop doing anything on pregnant peoples, we do however, use digital xray and our anaesthetic has no adrenalin. Digital xray uses .01 of a seconds exposure so it is actually less radiation than sitting in front of a computer all day.
    I myself wouls probably wait for anything other than a check and clean untill though the first tri. Thats just me!! Iam actually in the process of having some porcelain veneers put on and I get the new ones tomorrow morning which I am very excited about!!!! YAY, I have wanted my old ones to be replaced for years but its like any occupation, when you work in it you never have time for any of it yourself (untill a patient cancells)

Default reply

Naughty girl- [-X hon they'll tell you if they'll do it now (whatever needs doing that is) or after baby's born.
    Good Luck

How did you go at your dental appt?

Make sure you tell them that your pregnant & they'll let you know what to do....

When I was 6months pregnant, I broke a tooth & had to have it pulled. The dentist was happy to do it & I had an anesthetic for it. I was worried about the bub, but he was kicking the whole way through the procedure so I figured it didn't affect him.

I broke a tooth in early pregnancy... and finally got the courage to go to the dentist... in week 34 of my pg!
    He used a local anaesthetic, drilled it a bit and capped it for me, and I had no problems whatsoever, although now I know why he looked a bit worried when I told him how far along pg I was, lol!