Thread: Dentist/Root Canal

Question Dentist/Root Canal

Hi! I've got to have root canal treatment and although the dentist has said it is safe during pregnancy I'm not so sure... Does anyone have any knowledge on this one? I have had the first treatment done but will still probably require numbing or something for the pain. Is it safe? I'm scared but it is painful and I don't know how long I can cope. I'm only 13 weeks into this pregnancy.

Thanks in advance!

usually the first is fine as the canal can be cleaned and dressed without the need for xrays, however after that the appointments require xrays the check the length of the canals, have you had the first or are you going for the first?

ETA just re read your post, i wouldnt be continuing with root canal without the use of xray, so if he's going to complete without xrays, id be finding someone else!
    if the tooth is settled then id leave the rest of treatment til after the bubs is born

i've been having root canal work on a tooth for a while, and been referred to an endodontist - i asked him to be up front if there was anything they used that might be harmful if i were pregnant - he listed everything they use, and what it does, how it would impact me. nothing was harmful apart from the xray - and the fact that they use such pin point xray AND the lead apron there is nothing to be worried about. as someone who has now had 13 appointments and still hasn't completed the second lot of root canal on my tooth, i would say go with it and get it finished! my case is highly unusual (had a cyst that had to be surgically removed and could only have the tooth treated and packed for over 12 months while that healed) - so don't look at the number of visits - but you can trust that, going through IVF alongside it - i researched everything i could to make sure nothing the dentist/endodontist was doing would hurt any child we conceived!

Thanks girls.

I have had the first treatment where they have cut out most of the nerve but it is hurting again now so I guess they didn't get it all. I also guess that means I would need some sort of numbing which is what worries me about being pregnant. I haven't been told about any more xrays so I don't know about that but I think I will have to ask before I go in. I don't know if I can handle the pain if it gets worse so I really don't know what to do. Argh! Why do these things always flare up when preggers?

id go back and get it checked and recleaned, sounds like some residual nerve may remain, they dont know the length of the canel with out xray so they have probably guessed the length and cleaned to that. dont put up with the pain during pregnancy, you may have another infection due to remaining dead tissue

i would recommend going back and following up on the root canal - i know when i had mine done, i had several xrays - was told that the root of my tooth was the longest my dentist had ever seen on a front tooth - and it took more filling to fill that one root than it normally takes forall four roots of a molar! so yes, xray is needed - and please don't put up with the pain - infection is a lot worse (pain, possible sepsis) than what some numbing of the mouth is! due the problems i had, the infection had actually gone septic and was making me really unwell - it's not something you want to mess with!