Thread: Dentists and fillings

Default Dentists and fillings

I was wondering if there are any side afects for the baby if I was to go to the dentist to have a filling done? I know that through pregnancy you really need good dental hiegine but i am wondering about the numbing stuff they inject into the gum before the filling. I will be trying to do with out this but incase i have to have it will it afect the baby?

Fee Guest

I'm pretty sure getting a filling is safe. I was just reading about dentist visits in my OB's booklet.

I had to have a filling replaced as it had cracked. The dentist assured me that there is no problems with the local when PG but talk to the dentist about your worries.

I was told not to have any dental work in my first Trimester or 3rd trimester due to my high rate of miscarriage.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fee
    I'm pretty sure getting a filling is safe. I was just reading about dentist visits in my OB's booklet.
    Here is what my OB's booklet says:

Having dental examinations and dental work such as fillings are not a problem during pregnancy. Treatment of gum and tooth problems reduces the risk of infection in your blood which could hurt baby. Having an anaesthetic injection or gas is also no problem. If your dentist gives you drugs to take at home, check with me before taking them.
    I actually had a dental check up this morning. All went well! The dentist confirmed that I was pregnant and said everything was fine to have a check up. She just didn't lie the chair right back.

that is reassuring to read fee, as i had an anaesthetic and filling before i found out that i was pg. (luckily no xrays though). although i did not think it was a problem, is reassuring to read that.

I work in the industry and it's perfectly safe to have fillings done, just make sure they are white fillings and not amalgam as amalgam is not recommeded for pregnant women or children, make sure you advise your dentist that you are pregnant even if your very early into your pregnancy as some anesthetics (LA) are not given to pregnant women, hope this helps everyone, cheers,

Thank you - now i feel safer going to the dentist to have the filling done. and i will make sure its a white filling.

Whitening is definently out of the question when pregnant and breastfeeding just to be on the safe side due to the bleaching agent!!!
    x-rays are also not recommended. cheers,

amy Guest

i had to go to the dentist early in my pregnancy and they just changed the type of anasthetic to one that didnt have adrenalin in it so it was fine, just let them know you are pregnant and it will be fine

hi all
    there has been a study done in a WA hospital - not sure which one, where they have found that there is a link between dental work being done in the later part of your pg, and pre-term labour. Can't remember all the details but the story appeared on the Sunday program about 12 months ago on channel 9. I had heard this information before, but the story just confirmed it.

It caught my eye as I actually went to the dentist when I was pg at 30 weeks and went into labour the next day. If I had know that there is a link - i wouldn't have gone, but as it turned on- going into pre-term labour saved one of my twins life.

Hope this helps. If you want more info, it might be worth checking out the websites of the major hospitals in WA, or even googling a search to see what comes up.

take care