Thread: Desperate to find out sex....but bubs legs tightly shut...

Default Desperate to find out sex....but bubs legs tightly shut...

Just returned from my 18w ultrasound....everything great....expected to find out the sex...but bubs had legs shut. Bit annoyed sonographer didnt persist with it...but anyway.

Ive made another appt for THursday:

My queries are:

* Am i having too many ultrasounds (2 in a week ??? )
    * Im a public patient, and was told i will have to pay for this ultrasound? ($100 approx, coz ive already had my 18 week scan as a medicare patient).
    * How do you deal with NOT finding out the sex when your desperate too???

I feel so silly ATM.....why am i disappointed?? I feel crushed......Thursday cannot come soon enough..

Goodluck for Thursday. When i was pregnant with Lachlan I had 2 ultrasounds done in the 1 day as he wasn't co-operating for some measurements, so i wouldn't stress about 2 in a week.

I hope bubs is more cooperative on Thursday.

Love

Thanks Kathryn...DH seems to be a bit concerned im becoming a ultrasound addict. I thought it might be okay....i feel a bit silly having another one (like a desperado or something)...we dont mind if its a boy or a girl, just for preparation (nursery etc) we want to find out.
    Thanks.

I had around 7/8 ultrasounds for my first two pregnancies, but for health issues of the babies, so your definitely not an addict LOL

Love

mbear ive had quite a few ultrasounds 4 already i think.. dw about having another one i heard someone on bb say she had one a week just for peace of mind due to previous misscarriages... i hope ur modest little bubba gives u a peek on thursday

Oh no Mbear! what a bummer. I wouldn't worry about it being too many cause you aren't likely to need anymore after this one.

DD was the same, legs shut the whole time and the sonographer tried everything. But come 40 weeks we finally found out!!

For my 18 week scan i had to pay???

Im hoping this time bub will co-operate (if i do in the end decide i want to know).

im sure if the sonographer tried a bit more (i.e longer than 2 mins !! ) we would have found out. She soooo didnt care.
    I just hope my dr gives me a referral for another ultrasound - just to find out the sex...!

mbear- Hope you have better luck at your next scan.
    All the best

Don't forget to give your little one a pep talk before your next scan. Good luck on Thursday.

BTW. I wouldn't worry too much about having too many scans. This will probably be your last until bubs is born anyway so make the most of it.

from what i've read, there doesn't seem to be any negative consequences with ultrasounds. of course you wouldn't want to be having one every day, but 3 or 4 over 19 weeks doesn't sound too OTT to me!!

i'm private and have paid for all of my ultrasounds so far.. not sure how much - about $180 i think?

and i don't think you're being silly at all - if i don't find out the sex at my scan next monday i'll be booking myself in again ASAP just as you have!!

I wouldn't worry either - I've had an u/sound every 2nd week of this prg. Admittedly only one of those has been for more than like 30 secs (NT scan) but I wouldn't worry at all.

I can understand why you're disappointed, you've probably been waiting weeks to find out the exciting news and now you still don't know.

Our DD did the same thing at our 18 w scan - but I secretly asked her too because I was so torn as to whether to find out or not LOL! So when she did that I took it as a sign and we waited till she was born.

I was really shocked this time when the sonographer asked if we wanted to know the sex at our 12wk scan, he said he was pretty confident about what we're having. We couldn't decide at the time so have decided to just wait till our 18 wk scan and think about it again then.

I had all of my u/sounds with DD done at the public hospital and they never said a word about finding out the sex, you have to ask them otherwise it wasn't mentioned.

I definitely dont think it is OTT to have another one, you have been waiting for this news for a long time. I dont think it woud add any risk, my OB is happy to do scans through the Pg within reason and she would def not do this if it caused any probs so I dont think one more will hurt you or the bubs!
    I am private and have had to pay for both scans so far. I think the dating scan was about $85, the NT scan was $180 and I have my 19 wk on sat and i think that is about $180 too.

With my last baby,when I had a scan at 16 weeks they had a really hard time finding out what he was becasue of the way he was laying..so they had me lay on my side instead of my back and they finally got it after about 25 minutes of trying haha. maybe you can try that...turning positions.

And as far as having 2 many u/s I had like 12 with my last pregnancy and even more with my 3rd child. And they are just perfect! SO dont worry! And good luck

MBear, I just wanted to pop in and give you a big ! It doesn't help that *everyone* in our thread seems to be finding out, does it? I'm not sure whether you will need a Dr's referral, but I've had to pay for every ultrasound (and I'm a public patient too), so $100 for a non-medically essential US does not seem OTT.

Just remember, there may well be opportunities to find out the gender later on. When I was 34 weeks with DD, she stopped kicking for about a day and we were referred for an US then, that was when we found out. Had another US later on too as I went overdue.

Good luck!
    xx

I think once you make the decision to find out, it is pretty impossible to go back on that, so I understand your frustration. Saying that, we had numerous scans due to probs and EVERY time the sonographer said "think it's a girl, but can't be sure" so I never felt really secure in the knowledge until she arrived!! But once I knew we were going to find out I could NOT wait. Some people say it spoils the suprise, but it IS the suprise. You find out either half way or at birth, and both times it is a suprise. So your wanting to know is exactly the same as someone waiting until the birth to find out, same suprise!! (sorry prob rambled then)x xoxo

Like you I would be desperate to know -mostly because I figure I have already waited long enough! But also Im one of those people who have to have things organised. Id be upset if the sonographer acted that way. Here's hoping your next scan shows up all the bits you need to see

Mbear, you could always find yourself a private place and book in for a gender scan. I know that you can get them done here in Sydney. There is a place called Sydney Ultrasound for Women. Do a google on them. There is an office out in Baulkham Hills and another in Newtown. Not sure where the rest are.

They are more expensive than $100 though, but they will do it in 4d and you can get it on dvd too. This is the place I used when preg with Tehya and I will go there again with this baby.

Goodluck hun and sending you loads of open leg vibes to your little bubba