Thread: different ways to announce pregnancy to DH

Default different ways to announce pregnancy to DH

I know i am jumping the gun here but i am always thinking of clever ways to break the pg news to DH.

Any different and interesting ways?

The first time I sent him a text message because he wouldn't answer his phone and I couldn't wait any longer.
    The second time I was going to keep it secret for a few hours and tell him over a nice dinner but he asked me why I'd been smiling ever since I went to the bathroom and when I wouldn't tell him he geussed anyway.
    Not very different or interesting I'm afraid.

~Sarah~ Guest

I did the test before he got up and then I left the + test on the bathroom vanity and got back into bed...when he got up he went into the bathroom and came walking out with the test....I was just lying on the bed grinning!

jelliebean Guest

i did the test just b4 DP came home..... I had to go out so i left a note on the kitchen bench with the test next to it... The note said 'Oh no!!! not another one"

we had been ttc for 8 months and were nearly ready to give up.....

My B/F was with me when we did the tests and he kept telling me I was doing it wrong because we werent getting very conclusive answers - as if he knew how I was supposed to be doing it!!! :-k

A few friends have wrapped up a dummy and put it in a little box and given it to their partner and when he opened it see the dummy and she says "congrats you are going to be a daddy" Another friend has given her partner a card saying "hello daddy can't wait to meet you on the X date" Or others have wrapeed up their positive HPT tests and given to their partner.

Can you cook? I've heard of someone baking a homemade loaf of bread and commenting to their husband that 'it's not the only bun in the oven in their house'.

~Sarah~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beckibee
    Can you cook? I've heard of someone baking a homemade loaf of bread and commenting to their husband that 'it's not the only bun in the oven in their house'.
    HAHAHAH I like that one...however, I suppose it doesn't have to be as fancy as 'bread' Cupcakes are also called buns and they can come in a packet mix form. lol

LOL at "the bun in the oven"

Ist time I POAS and left it in the bathroom. DH and i were both home and fought over who was going to check on it. We both raced in at the same time then just stood there and didn't know what to say, could only smile from ear to ear and laugh- DS was under discusion of TTC at the time.

With this one it was IVF so all the blood tests were far from an exciting way to tell him especially as it went on for over a week until i got a definate positive go ahead. It was more relief.

I had always pictured myself finding out i was pg around DH's b'day or maybe hoping it would be around fathers day so i could buy him his first f/day or daddy card and tell him that way...it didn't happen.

I have heard of one wher a lady put it in the local paper under announcements because she new her DH read the Births, Marriages etc....notices every Saturday morning. Great idea you would just want to hope he reads it before the rest of the family or friends :-k

kirsty Guest

In my first pg I wrapped up some socks & jocks & gave them to my DH with a card saying "To my Daddy, can't wait to meet you". DH was blown away.

Second time around I did a card along the same lines as number one, but put it into his lunchbox for work with the Dr's +preg test in it (with strict instructions to bring the test home with him).

This one I did the bun in the oven one & you should have seen his face. Though he thought that there was something suss going on coz I was baking!!

My DF knew i was testing the morning i found out. I POAS and left in in the bathroom and got ready for work- not wanting to stick around for the answer!!

I then saw DF rush into the bedroom with something behind his back and a bit of a grin on his face.

Went back into the bathroom, test wasnt there, "kind of" suspected it was negative and he had put it in the bin to save the dissapointment.

Went into the kitchen, told DF i didnt want any breaky as i was feeling a bit weird when he carried on saying id better eat something etc so i did....

Got in the car, DF was driving me to work but he couldnt stop laughing big time and he kept looking at me. I asked him to tell me what was going on (i think i knew by then!) and he just wouldnt untill we were almost at work then he announced that we were having a baby!!! YAY!!!!

Ofcourse i sent him home to double check and to email me straight away, which he did and i did another test that night.... oh and a few more over the next week as you do

This time, i want to tell him!! Not sure how... maybe ill get Abby to do my dirty work for me.... as long as she is talking by the time no2 is on its way.

littlerigger Guest

With Matt and myself, we hadn't been trying at all (I was still on the pill religiously when we fell) but I had had a feeling. Early in the month I'd tested and gotten a faint + and then after some bleeding did another test and got a BFN. So when AF didn't arrive on time and I was still cranky and out of sorts we bought another test on the way home in the afternoon. Well I went and POAS and then left it in the bathroom as soon as I saw the second line coming up. Went out to the kitchen where he asked "well" and just told him to go look cause I "hadn'y seen the result" When he came back he asked what the 2 lines meant Not real unusual or exciting but it made us both happy and it's something I'll always remember!

Fraser Guest

I wish I had had the patience to wait and tell DH in a cool way - I always thought I would - but when I found out he was working late because he was swamped and stressed out - I couldn't even wait for him to get home - rang him at work and just laughed maniacally down the phone - he thought it was a prank call until I got a couple of words out - poor thing had to stick it out at work for another couple of hours before wandering dazed in the front door - still not really believing me!

I would definitley do it differently with our second one (fingers crossed)

abs Guest

We had gone down the IVF route, so knew the test result was due... Jen had the blood taken that morning so I was waiting for a call from her - this was transfer no 4 or 5 I think ??

She was interviewing people on behalf of a client that arvo - she was crying saying how can I continue to interview when I'm pregnant !!!

I still have the SMS she sent me after the phone call

With our first DH was with me while I was doing the test. It was a very faint BFP but DH kept saying NAH thats not positive it would have to be darker then that. So I did it again the next day, still a faint line then again a day or so later and still a faint line. By this time I was convinced it was a BFP but DH still wanted to wait till the Dr confirmed it. We went to the Dr & said I think I am pg. Told him about the HPT and he said well yep your PG. No further bloods or anything.

With #2 I found out in November and managed to keep it a secret from DH till christmas when I made up a top for DS that had a pic of a stork & a baby saying "Santa'a not the only one who visitied this year" and wraped it up along with the test. DH was over the moon & shocked. He said I nearly killed him! LOL . It was anounced to family by DS wearing his shirt but NO ONE got it so I still had to explain it to people DER!

The next one I dunno what I will do. DH said he can tell by the way I act & smell :-k when AF is due so I am guessin ghe will probably catch on seems we are actually trying.

Like some of the others, nothing exciting here - I was in shock as well!!

I *knew* I was pg, although like littlerigger I was on the pill, so took the test during the day while he was working. Sure enough, big positive and I spent the rest of the afternoon worried about how to break the news.

He had a couple of his mates over for the evening and they were having a good time, mucking around, etc. He had specially bought me home some vodka (which he doesn't drink) and couldn't understand why I was suddenly not interested in what is usually my favourite drink! I let them have fun and when his friends finally left (almost midnight) and he came inside, I did the whole "sit down on the bed, I have to tell you something". Not very exciting, but I did feel good knowing he'd had his last evening of freedom before having to worry about his new responsibility!!

Despite the shock, which took him about 24 hrs to get over, he actually got very excited and was happy about the news straight away.

We also had to do the IVF thing.
    My first cycle was done with my BF and when she got AF, I started to wonder why mine hadn't shown up. Next morning I did a HPT and casually gave it to DH asking what 2 lines meant.
    My third pregnancy I had done 3 HPT 13 DPO and all were neg..I was a complete cow for the day which happened to be my nephews christening and all these pregnant people around. I was so tired driving home DH told me to pull over and he would. Next day I wasn't going to turn up for the compulsory BT to clock off cycles but something made me do it. When I rang for the results they wernt in so the nurse said she would ring back I told her not to bother..lol She rang and made me go through all my details :-k and said congratulations. I fainted and dropped the phone.
    DH had to come and get me from work so I had to tell him I was "delicate" again.
    Fastforward found the HPT 10 months later BFP :fuming:

Janie Guest

I'm not pregnant (yet) but have bought a pregnancy book from the fathers POV and intend on wrapping it up with the PG test to give to hubby.

Hope it works out ok.

Edited to add: Now that I am PG (found out a few days after this post!). I told DH about a test I did on the Friday that was really faint. We re-tested together on Sunday and it was again positive. Later after breakfast, I came out with the book and gave it to him. He loved it!