Thread: Do emotions affect bub?

Default Do emotions affect bub?

I was just wondering, how much are unborn babies affected by mums emotions? For instance, when mum doesn't want the bub, would the bub be born more independant and less cuddly, because they 'sense' they're not gonna get much from mum?

i think that kind of conditioning comes more from how they are treated once they are born, than before. but it may seem like they are less cuddly cos mum doesn't want to cuddle them as much.

i think things like recognising the parents may take longer though - if she hasn't bonded during pregnancy (i talk to my tum all the time!) then baby may not recognise voices, but the smell factor would still be there...

i do think sometimes more highly stressful pregnancy may result in more high strung babys - but i'm honestly not sure... i've seen "evidence" in friends that both supports and totally quashes that theory!

I am in no way an expert but looking at all the mums and bubs I know I think that maybe not emotions, but stress, does make a difference.
    The bubs who have stressed mums are also harder to settle etc, but that being said it could also be because the mum's too stressed to relax and connect with the bub rather trying to fix whatever the problem is.
    Babies who have been born from horrible experiences can also be the happiest little angels as well, so I think it depends on each case.
    Sorry I've just read this and probably wasn't much help!

I just wanted to let you know that I think I had a very stressful pregnancy.

Relationship problems, problems and falling outs with some family members, financial problems and I can even remember (and please dont judge me for saying this because I beat myself up everyday for even thinking it at the time) thinking to myself that I wished I wasnt pregnant during a really rough patch - and its not that I never wanted my baby - it was more that I worried that it was the worng time in our lives.

What I can tell you now is that I have such a strong bond with my little girl. We look into each others eyes and its like we both know how much love we have for one another. She is a very settled baby who is quite content but loves her cuddles.

I dont know about other peoples situations but all I can go on is mine. I also think what Briggsy's girls said about it being once they are born is very true and that they can recognise and be comforted by familiar smells and sounds of their parents.

NOPE, not like that at least - stress yes.

Babies that are left alone for very long periods may go 'quiet' eventually but in the womb they are not wanting for anything iykwim?

Thanks for all your responses ladies - I know its not an exact science, but you've all been very helpful

I'm not sure about the bonding and connection, but from what I've seen with various friends, the amount of stress definitely affects bubs. I've always said to DH, before we got PG, "no matter how irrational I get, you need to keep me relaxed and level-headed". I think it's important - for us at least. Also the type of birth seems to reflect your personality later in life. Bubs with a stressful birth seem to be more stressed, bubs with a longer labor seem to take thing slow and easy. DH changes his mind on things every second day (drives me NUTS!), then I talked to his mum and she said he was ready to arrive, travelling down the birth canal, then went back up and they had to wait till he was ready again.

But I have nothing to back that up - just from people I've known and cases I've seen. Interesting to think about tho'.