Thread: Do I need an Ob?

Default Do I need an Ob?

Hiya ladies,

I am going 100% public at Werribee Mercy, but they don;t have an outpatient program...so I have been advised that i need to find either a doc or Ob.

I can't afford to be paying a lot of fees etc, as every cent is going towards me being off work.

I usualyl go to the local medical centre..and have been happy with the service there.

I have been reccommended a lovely doctor there who will work in conjunction with the hospital, and make all my bookings etc.

I know this is ultimately my own choice....but is this ok to do?

Nothing is high risk with me so far.

angelfish Guest

I understood that if you don't have any risks/health issues than you don't need an obstetrician unless you want one. You can see a GP or a midwife.

BTW someone correct me if I'm wrong, I had homebirths so I'm only going on what I've heard from others

kirsty Guest

In my first pg we only saw a GP who also delivered babies & it was fantastic. Even when things didn't go quite to plan he knew what to do.

We are seeing him this time as well as an OB due to this pg being classed as high risk.

Ok thanks ladies,

I just had this feeling that i was doing it all wrong...LOL

Its like Shared care I guess, without the midwifery visits until anti-natal classes.

kirsty Guest

If you are happy & comfortable with the Dr & confident that all is good then I say go for it Chrissy. Having someone you trust & have confidence in can make a world of difference while you negotiate the wonderful world of pregnancy.

Best of luck.

Chrissy, shared care sounds great. The others are right ... you don't need an ob unless you want one or are assessed as high risk. The hospital will give you everything you need. Best of luck with everything.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I saw my GP throughout my pregnancy and I had no troubles. I guess it doesn't really matter if you don't really care who delivers your baby because more than likely it will not be the GP unless you get lucky I guess that's the only real downside. I didn't really mind at the end and I thought that I probably wouldn't, the most important thing for me was to be comfortable with my carer throughout my pregnancy and I did so I was very happy, and would definitely do it again the same way.