Thread: do subsequent pregs get harder??

ttcno2 Guest

Default do subsequent pregs get harder??

Really cannot believe how foul pregnancy has been this time for me, in just a few weeks (currently 8.5 weeks). Feeling really terrible a lot of the time with all day and night nausea (wakes me up at night!). Feeling exhausted by about 10am in the morning. Then to add to that, got a severe sore throat which lasted a week, restless legs on and off so keeping me up at night every few nights, a little bit of gall bladder pain every now and then, and heartburn/reflux which is the current thing tonight so that I am up at 2.52am feeling crap. Now Ive also got thrush!

From surfing the net, I know there are lots of women who have all of the above far more severe eg hospitalized with vomiting etc, so am trying to be grateful that it could be worse! But very aware that right now Im feeling much worse than I did last time and feeling very glad this is the last time!

Do other people generally experience preg as harder the second time around?

Oh sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I hope things improve soon for you.

This preg has been very similar as my last one, so far - quite uneventful. But everyone's experience is different.

Again, hope you're feeling more normal by the time 2nd trimester hits. That first trimester can be full of nasty surprises.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.

I'm onto my third pregnancy and I found at first it was a lot harder than what I remember, plus I'm 7 years older this time around. The first tri was the most difficult with the tiredness and especially that leg thing that you describe...argh, it's awful. I was up so much at night. I have older children so it makes things very easy in the sense I can fall asleep on the couch and they leave me and are even quiet.

I also found instead of feeling heaps better at the beginning of 2nd tri like I used to, it took till about 20 weeks before my energy levels came back.

Just rest and it will improve soon, hopefully around 12-14 weeks for you when it usually does when the placenta takes over. Make sure you rest up, that's what I did and it really helped me cope.

I found the latter part of the 1st trimester, and a few weeks into the second trimester hard with a little one (she was 20mths when we got pregnant with #2). There would be days where i would lie on the couch all day, watching hi5 with my daughter. I felt so guilty, lazy, stupid, but it was all i could muster. My DH was on a rigourous course for 10 weeks, mon - fri and studying on weekends, so i really didnt have a break. I didnt suffer morning sickness, it was more exhaustion, tiredness.
    I can honestly say, as the pregnancy wore on, i got bigger, and the EDD got closer, i had more energy, i enjoyed my time with my DD, and i actually enjoyed the pregnancy....

I think it was soooo much harder the second time

With another child you just don't have the luxury of being able to sleep in or take naps during the day when you feel horrid. Just lying around taking it easy is impossible so everything is just harder I think. I have a very supportive hubby who was a SAHD when I was pregnant with my second and I still found it hard Enlist whatever help you can get!

This is my 5th pregnancy and I would have to say it was the hardest in regards to morning sickness. Luckily my deliveries have got easier with each one (so here's hoping baby number 5 will be another smooth delivery)

Hopefully your morning sickness will ease soon and you too. All the best.

My pg's have all been about the same, some days are worse than others though. It is hard for subsequent babies when you just can't get the rest that you did with the first one, but I just try to get to bed earlier if I need to and leave the washing up and other housework till the next day - it won't go anywhere LOL. Why don't you look into getting some In-Liven? it really does work wonders on your energy levels - I am taking it during this pg and I can't imagine how much more tired I would be if I didn't have it. It will also help with the thrush and reflux symptoms too - check out the In-Liven thread in General Health, Fitness and Wellbeing.

I tend to agree with you. This time around (and I am only 10 weeks!) I have been more tired and I felt like I was hungover for the first 8 weeks. I am coming around now but still dizzy etc (which I was in the first!) I think having a child dependent on you might have something to do with the tiredness.
    Also - because I am at home I have more time to think about it as I am not at work with 32 Kinder Children!
    Good luck - I hope you improve soon!

I found #2 was easy, but #3 was extremely hard for me, i had alot of problems in pregnancy with my daughter (who was subsequently born at 30 weeks) Just remember - this time you're a little older, everythings a little more stretched and you have a littlie to run after!!

Good luck hun, hope everything sorts out for you...

Yep! I've found this one to be a bit harder as well. I definitely felt more tired in the 1st tri and quite a lot more emotional.
    Luckily dh has been great and I'm feeling much better now!
    Physically it has been cruisy - a few more aches and pains and the heat isn't helping but nothing too much to complain about....

I completely agree. I honestly felt like my body picked up where my last pg left off at 36wks :-) I've had m/s the entire time, so tired, + hideous varicose veins and heart problems and BH from 6wks. This pg feels like it has been a constant battle against my body. I too am pleased we had decided to stop at two as I think I would be hard pressed convincing myself to do this again. I did find the second tri much more bearable so wishing you the same.