Thread: Do you........

Default Do you........

Eat the 7 pieces of fruit and veg that they say you should and also eat the amount of dairy you shouldhave in one day also ??

My doctor looked shocked at my appt when i said no because i have so not been able to eat much just the thought of food some days mades me feel yuk.
    I do eat some fruit and veg a week but not as much as they say you should.
    If all i can eat is a bar of chocolate then that is all i can eat IYKWIM.

No, I never did. You just have to do the best you can. I think so long as it is not all bad food, then everything will be OK. Quite often in later pg you more than make up for the lack of appetite in the first trimester.

my diet was somewhat lacking during pg.. especially the 1st trimester! But I just kept telling myself that anything is better than nothing, and think of all those poor mums who are sooooo sick when pg that they eat hardly anything, and yet the bub is just fine.

I did crave fruit a lot actually, and it was the completely wrong season, so didn't get much. I did drink lots of milk tho.. I think milo was my staple for a while there. hehe.

Don't worry too much, just do what you can. Bubby will always take what it needs regardless. I'd recommend taking vitamins tho. I MADE myself swallow them down even when I felt ill coz that eased my conscience a bit.

Lorin Guest

I just buy what i can afford so when fruit is expensive i do nto buy it, i try and ahve vegies a few times a week but i dont have it every day. I just dont know how some one is supposed to eat fruit and vegies every single day. you'd almost be having the same meals every day.

goldilocks Guest

Michelle,

I have been really slack in the fruit & veg department since being pg. And I feel so guilty about it! But the truth of the matter is that my tastes have been so over the place that I haven't been able to stomach much.

I'm taking the Blackmores Pregnancy Supplement every day so hopefully I'm getting enough vitamins out of that until I feel like eating more fruit and veg.

I've been craving dairy foods something chronic. I drink about a litre of milk a day and have been eating Kraft cheddar cheese like it's going out of fashion! LOL

It's so hard not to feel guilty though!

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

I honestly can't stomach fruit some days. Apple made me throw up in early PG and I've been off it since, and oranges make my stomach acidic.
    I try and eat some sultanas if the kids are eating them but quite often it gets to the end of the day and I forget. I'm sure I make up for it with heaps of vegies at dinner time though.

Percy Guest

I try to but sometimes am slack and can't be bothered. I'm not experincing MS as such but am just so tired I can't make the effort.

IMHO, guilt and stress are far worse for your baby then missing out on a couple of pieces of fruit and veges a day!

I'm terrible with fruit. I hardly even have one piece a day let alone 7! I'm really trying to have more now though, but I love my veges....

Nope. I usually have 2-3 pieces of fruit each day then a serve of vegies with my dinner most nights.. so no. I still make sure i have some milk and a yogurt each day.. im really slack in the water department though

No way. I don't usually watch what I eat when I'm not pregnant at ALL so they're doing well just to have me aware of what I'm putting in my mouth lol.

I don't obsess over it, I eat what I can handle. Usually when you're pregnant your body will be very clear on what it wants and doesn't want and you just go with it. I try to watch what I eat when pg but if I feel like junk I allow myself to have it.

Baby will take what it needs, it gets first dibs on everything. It's you who will lose out on the nutrients if your diet is really THAT bad.

Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask

There are ways..I had peach and mango yogurt, figured that's 2 fruits plus dairy
    And those snack containers of tinned fruit? Fruit salad? Frozen blueberries (expensive, but frozen berries don't go off!! Well..leave them a couple of months and they'll taste a bit funny..) Fruit juice?

And vegies like zucchini are good for adding to pastas, or anything really, since they don't really change the taste...zucchini is how I tricked DH into eating vegies, and now he likes them!!

Just mix it up and look for easy things, with me, I know plain fruit can seem boring (except kiwi fruit and nashi fruits which I craved), just do what you can, and look for easy options! And freeze your yogurt if it's about to be out of date, if you like frozen yogurt.

I know once people started giving me ideas of different ways to eat fruit, it got easier, and more interesting, and more convenient, though I doubt I often got to 7 serves a day! Yikes!
    Don't beat yourself up over chocolate though, lollies are great, just have some balance is all.
    Just do as best as you can, it's good for you All the best!

Michelle - I lived on crumpets with cream cheese and Powerade in my first trimester... no fruit or vegies at all!!! Actually I do remember eating an apple once... LOL.

I got better as the PG progressed but I felt like I was dying in those first few months and not much entered my mouth LOL and I didn't care whether it was healthy or not!! As long as it stayed down!!!

Pah, anything goes in the first trimester! I find that juicing a few carrots and apples helps my conscience! Oranges are easy and soooo tasty to eat...though they can be too acidic for 1st trimesters.....same with apples. Celery with peanut butter (crunchy) is awesome! Dare you to try it! Yummo.

Tried the best I could by eating fruit yogurt and also v8 juice that was the easiest way.. and thats all I could keep down, but v8 gives me heartburn now in 3rd Tri and I havent eaten real fruit for 2 weeks uh oh.. but still have yogurt.

7 pieces? Cripes, I've not found it all that easy having the five recommended over here - I know I have at least 4 every day, but 7? No way! But I do have non-fermented fruit juice now so I guess that helps up the total a bit. Maybe I should get myself some vitamins at the weekend...

All I could stomach in the first couple of months w/ my last pregnancy was vegemite on dried biscuits...and, although I usually don't eat potato chips, I couldn't travel w/out eating them...they helped w/ the travel nausea. In the first trimester, I think one should really eat whatever they can keep down. Your baby will use your stores of nutrients then, so as long as you had a good diet before pregnancy, it shouldn't matter too much. When you get your appetite back, then start thinking about all the food groups.

Kirsty77 Guest

I just eat what I can. Some days its easier than others but I'm sure I NEVER eat the recommended amounts that they say, I think I'd explode!

I do to take Elevit so that gives me some help.
    I'm pleased to see i am not the only one that doesn't eat the amount they would like us to eat.
    My Dr even asked if i gave the kids fruit and eat some as i cut it up. The last time i gave Alex chopped apple he throw it over the high chair. They do have fruit but not everyday.