Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you give in to your cravings?

Red face Do you give in to your cravings?

I'm trying really hard to be good, but most of my cravings are for naughty sweet things like chocolate, ice-cream and lamingtons (mmm lamingtons!).

This is a complete turn around for me as I usually don't eat chocolate at all and only an occasional ice-cream, it's so weird!

So do you give in to the cravings and just eat what you feel like or do you supress those urges and eat healthy stuff?

And do you limit those cravings ie only one row of chocolate or do you just go for it??

Generally, I give in. Right now it's salty stuff (OMG BACON!!!) but if the other two pregnancies are anything to go by, I'll move onto fruit soon. With S (March baby) I had the good fortune to be able to tuck into all the summer fruit, and am looking forward to that again. As you can imagine, last trimester constipation was not a problem for me

I reach my tolerance with everything pretty quickly, though (apart from the fruit thing!). So I figure that I just eat as much as I feel like, and it will balance itself out. I'm a bit laid back when it comes to the idea of "every bite counts". But babies have all been healthy so far, and so am I, so it can't be too detrimental.

I gave in to them. My mum gave me a great tip for limiting my chocolate intake. She said to buy a big bad of mini chocolate bars, and keep it in the freezer. Then when I had a craving to get one out to defrost. Then at the next craving I could eat it.

Sadly I discovered a taste for frozen bounty bars so it didn't work with me

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Sadly I discovered a taste for frozen bounty bars so it didn't work with me
    oh dear!

Mostly yes lol

But sometimes I just cant be bothered to follow through in my cravings lol

I do, but that is mainly because I can't stomach much at the moment - so when I find something I want, I'm so relieved I just go for it!

I'm the same sterla, not much is appealing at the moment, so I eat what I feel like, which is usually naughty stuff!

Give in to them hun - I know this great personal trainer........hahahaha!

Seriously, and mostly because of how much weight I stacked on last pg I try to not always give into those cravings. But thats not saying you'll end up in the same boat as me and whack on 30kgs by any means. It's important that you eat - and if you're turned off the healthy foods then eat the naughty food, you've got a little one to nurture . If I have a healthier option available I'll opt to eat that first, even if it isn't 'doing it' for me, and after I eat it I don't crave the naughty food....(as much lol).

I also find the smell of certain food is enough to turn me off certain dishes I would normally otherwise love. Goodbye curry, I'll see you in April!

I just gave in ... this time around it was bread. Normally I don't like bread and don't eat much of it, this time I was indulging in all sorts of interesting bread rolls ... and lots of buttered toast

I've ended up at basically the same weight each pregnancy and its slowly going away, I'm 63 now, down from 75. Only 10kg to go ... hmm.

I found I had to give in, to a point, or the craving just got worse and worse, and then I would totally need to pig out. It was easier to give in just a little and take the edge off, and move on. I would try and do something like eat a meal first, or a big serve of fruit, then allow myself that piece of chocolate, or cake, so I was not doing it on an empty stomach... Luckily some of my worst cravings were for fresh fruit...

I give in.. if the food is in the cupboard or if im out and can get it. Not one to send DH out in the middle of the night though lol..
    Ive had the odd cravings here and there.. different stuff.. 1st trimester was salads and vinegary stuff/dressings so that wasnt too bad.. last week was Neenish tarts.. mmmmm.. ended up getting one yesterday and ohh was good. lol. But i do make sure im having a good diet, eating a good breakfast, having lunch that will consist of usually salad and tuna and a good dinner with vegies. So i dont see the harm in giving into those cravings.

Most times I would just drink a half litre of water and wait an hour. If the craving was still there, then yeah, usually I'd go for it.

My favourite was when I was desperate for Peppermint Lifesavers. I don't think I've ever had them before in my life, but I became obsessed. The waiting trick didn't work, so I rugged up, went out, and got a packet. I ate one, didn't even finish it, and then spat it into the bin! That was enough for me.

But, yes to most of them, although mine haven't been toooooo bad. Chocolate, sometimes, and I limit it. Baby corn and two minute noodles are the others, and I usually give in to that.

i think it depends on what it is and if it is practical...
    i found with this one i loved lebanese ice cream which is a sorbet type of ice cream and being preg. during winter i had bucklies of getting DH to go get it for me.. lol so yummmy OMG I WANT sum now lol....
    but i think its the best thing bout being preg. u can have them and have ur craving ur entitled my mil tells my DH wat ever she wants u make sure she gets it lol YEEYyy luv my mil...

oh no Leesa, not curry! You poor thing, I love curry at the best of times, and it's now one of my cravings too!

Thanks for your replies girls, I now feel just a little bit less guilty having that choc coated icecream every night

always always give in i had curry cravings hit me at 10pm one night. DH jumped outta bed in his pjs got in the car and found a curry place that was selling to the local taxi drivers (they basically are open alllll night!) and whammo! had my potato vindaloo with chapati

it's now our fav curry place lol!

Oh Cassius, that's funny! I must say I've never had late night cravings, probably because I crave sleep more!!

I give myself the water rule as well, if I am really craving something I make myself drink a large glass of water first, that way I don't indulge as much. I find it works really well with soft drinks etc. And other stuff I try to convinve myself that I don't need it, but there does come a point when I have to have it....... so I try to find ways to limit it, ie if it is Cobbs Slightly Salty Slight Sweet Popcorn, I pour a portion into a small bowl and put the packet away and only allow myself to eat what is in the bowl, otherwise if I sit with the packet I can easily devour the whole packet *redface*

I always gave in but had some weird cravings. For a couple of weeks all I ate was cherry tomatoes drowned in balsamic vinegar. When I was finished the tomatoes I'd drink the small bit of vinegar at the bottom. The first time I did it, I freaked out in case I'd pickled the baby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast