Thread: doctor's certificates and pregnancy

Default doctor's certificates and pregnancy

hi there...
    i have four weeks of work to go until my contract finishes, i am now 29 weeks and have just decided that i can't do it anymore, i want to finish earlier, ie, this week, i could resign, but that means i will rule out any benefits i may be entitled to from the government (not sure if i am, but i dont want to ruin my chances by resigning) - i was wondering if i went to my doctor and just explained that it is all too much, are they likely to write me a letter or give me a certificate or something saying it is in my best interests to finish work?

has anyone else done this or know of anyone who has? my friend who is a nurse says it wont be an issue and lots of her friends have done this in the third trimester when it has all gotten to be too much.

I think it would depend on the doctor, but I would imagine most of them would do it. I know my GP would. Good luck with it Emma.

I haven't done this but I would say that if you had a very understanding dr that they would do it for you. Good luck, I hope things work out!

thanks guys....
    i think my doctor should be okay with it... he knows i have had fainting episodes from being seated for too long as i have low blood pressure, so think i will be okay.... i am going to be honest and say to him 'look there is nothing to stop me from just resigning, i am on a contract and dont intend to go back, but would just feel a lot better having something in writing from a doctor to back up my case'... its basically the truth, i would feel a bit guilty just resigning, plus this way, if i have a certificate i wont feel obliged to give a notice period.
    thanks again
    (i will be so tense at the appointment i am likely to burst into tears anyway with the stress of it all, haha)

Emma, if you are 29 weeks, I dont really think your doctor would have a problem writing a letter like that esp if you just go in and explain it to them. My doc would do this for me. Its really just the same thing as a doctors cert to say you can work when you are sick, really.

thanks guys
    yay i am officially a (soon to be) stay at home mum, no more work for me.... i couldn't believe how easy it was to get the certificate, i really just said i'm uncomfortable at work and before i knew it he was typing me up a letter.

its so great not to be working anymore :-)

I did it when i was pregnant.. a similar thing anyways. My work would constantly make me stay back at night and it was too much for me.. especially that i lived an hour and a half away at a time. So i went to my GP and asked him to write me a letter stating i was unfit to do any overtime. And he did and it worked. When 5pm came around they said see ya.