Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does baby sleep in your bedroom?

Jen Schuster Guest

Joshua slept with us for the first 4 months. We then set up his own room next door and he enjoyed sleeping in his own bed for part of the night and in "the big bed" with mummy and daddy for the rest of the night after his 2am feeds.

He weened himself at 10 months and has slepts in his own bed. He is very happy when he wakes up and giggles to let us know he is awake.

You have to find your own comfortable practice and baby will let you know what they want IYKWIM!!!

Love Jen

Jenna is 16 weeks old and still sleeps in our room in her bassinette. I love it and have learned to tune out the noises that dont mean "help please!". I dont want to move her out, but its got to be done sometime. More for selfish reasons as I dont want to have to get too far out of bed to comfort her!!
    I think we are moving her cot into either our room or our living room (opposite the bedroom) in the next week or so cause she is finally outgrowing the bass.
    Do what works for you - you wont know until you try it. But dont listen to other peoples advice until you know what to expect! Remember every baby is different!! (So is every parent......)

Fi

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I think I had a discussion with Pinky McKay a little while ago, about SIDS actually have safe guidelines for co-sleeping now and supporting co-sleeping when going by these guidelines.

Co-sleeping is sometimes frowned on by others and some people think you are playing with your baby's life in doing it, but when following the guidelines, it is safe. I co-slept with Marisa for a long time and never rolled on her, squashed her or blankets never covered her face. Elijah was also in the bed sometimes when he'd fall asleep at the breast at night and was perfectly fine too.

So many choices, so many different mums - thank goodness different things appeal to different people
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I said I wasn't going to have Matthew in our room from the start but being in hospital and having him next to me in there, I just had to have him close by at home. Until about 5 weeks, as he outgrew the bassinette then, so we put him in his cot in his own room, he didn't miss a beat!

I think if your bubs is in your room, you just get used to the noises, like getting used to sleeping in the same room as your DH?

Just do what works for you when the time comes, I've been lucky and Matthew has slept right through from 7 weeks, so co-sleeping has never been an issue, but it is something I would do if it was the only thing that made him sleep, for sure!

Doing the nursery is so much fun! Amy sleeps really well in her cot. I forgot to mention that we had her in a Tetra bed for the first 3 weeks and she is now in the cot on her own in a Grobag. She doesn't like being wrapped since 2 weeks old and used to struggle and grunt until her arms were free. We did have her in a bassinet in the loungeroom for during the day for the first 3 days so she was close to us.

Matthew`s in our room and we wouldn`t have it any other way, in the beginning his little noises did wake me but now I only wake when he wants me and DH has been sleeping all noises/cries from very early days. Matthew has a very large cradle so will be in it for some time, when he goes into his cot he`ll still be in our room, mainly because we don`t have a spare room for him but even if we did he`ll be in our room

Alexander was in our room for about 4weeks. I kept waking for every little sound he made so it was better for me to move him into his own room so i could get some sleep. Since then we have both slept much better.

Melinda Guest

We had Jacob in a bassinette in our room until he was around 11 - 12w old by which time he had to go into the cot in his own room because he had outgrown the bassinette. He had outgrown it a few weeks earlier but I just couldn't bring myself to put him in another room yet!!

Yes, they can make lots of grunting/gurgling noises and even do little cries in their sleep (not the "I'm hungry, feed me NOW" type cries) and at first, I was awake and ready to leap out of bed for each and every one of them, but I got used to it and tuned out a bit from those (I was still aware of them but I would just drift back off to sleep) and only woke up properly for the proper cries. When Jacob went into his own room, I actually missed the closeness of him being in our room, right near us, and I missed hearing him breathe and his little gurgles etc! It took me a while to get used to not having him in our room!

Ivana_baby - we had hendrix in the room in a bassinet for 3 weeks but i did find his grunts and groans were stopping me from sleeping. His room is next to ours so i hear him (i do hear some loud groans still!!) but i also know what his noises mean know. We bring him into bed from around 5am to co-sleep until we surface and he loves that but otherwise is quite content in his room. I also have his room set up beautifully for feeding so that we remain in his room throughout the night.

with my first we shared a room, her and I, until we moved in with DH, (then DP) which turned out to be over 2 yrs, the 2nd was in the bassinette in our room till he was too big for it, 5 mths and then went into his own and I had a monitor. The 3rd was in our room till 7 mths and even then DH wanted her to stay, and the 4th was 8 mths.

I lovwed them being there, I didn't have to go far to tend to them, I could feed them snuggled in bed esp in the cold weather, and I really didn't hear every noise, just the louder ones. Even know I have the monitor on in Jessica's room, she's 11 mths, and I don't hear everything, only the louder noises. and I don't get up to her either, but as she is fairly far away I know when she is awake in the mornings.

I think it is improtant to do what you feel is right, maybe try your room and if it's no good, then move the bub out or visa versa. I loved to hear them breathe and sigh and move around, so it suited me.

Jen Schuster Guest

In addition to my earlier post:

I loved having Joshua in bed with us when he was first born. When he first moved into his own room I used to wake up in the middle of the night looking for him and Id get worried cause I never saw him and thought DH had rolled on top of him - LOL. I was more worried and slept less when I couldnt hear him - its funny the things we get used to!!!!

Love Jen

You remidned me Jen of the time I had woken, fed Jessica, put her in the bassinette and fallen asleep still with the light on. I woke to hear DH screaming out, where is she? Are you lying on her? Is she ok! ANd cos I was half asleep I was saying "I've got her, she's here, I'm holding her." SO he couldn't see and assumed I had dropped her out of the bed. After about a minute I realised what he was saying and told him she was in the bassinette. I really had him paniced.

I didn't like having bubs there cos of Dh rolling, but I loved to cuddle while feeding.

Cheers Michelle

Debbie Lee Guest

Gabby has slept in her cradle in her room since the 2nd night we were home. We tried having her in our room for the first night (I had even re-arranged the bedroom) but we didn't get much sleep.
    Our house has very thin walls and her room is right next to ours so I can hear her cry. I had Neil put one of our lounge-suite chairs in her room so I could BF when she was waking at night.
    I have tried co-sleeping a few times but it just didn't work for me. I just felt like I was going to squash her. I think if I was a smaller person, I might be a little more comfortable?? They say that larger people have to be careful when co-sleeping too.

Honestly, it's definitely each to their own. You are not going to know what you are going to be comfortable with or what works for yourself and your baby until the baby is here. So I say keep an open mind. You may end up with bubs in your room or in it's own room. Whatever works and results in sleep for you and the baby is all that matters!

Yeah, it sounds like it's pretty common to give one thing a go and then switch to something else that suits better.

I definitely won't be missing the cries, the room will be right next to ours, it's just gonna be getting myself out of bed that'll be the challenge I'll try and be organised.. have a nice warm dressing gown ready to throw on, and a cozy chair in the bub's room to sit in while bf. I'll see how I go.

Debbie Lee Guest

Sounds like a plan!

Honestly.... the first 6 weeks are kind of a blur so you do just muddle through it. But you do come out the other end and it somehow just falls into place eventually! All trial and error

LOL Shannon, we kept them longer in our room the further down the line we got. Well except for Jordan but there was no choice but to share with her till over 2 cos I had one bedroom at Mum's and we shared. As I said Josh was 5 mths, Jemma was 7 mths and Jess was about 8-9mths. Arron would have had them stay forever but I wanted to paint (still haven't) and get my room looking like a grownups room.

Cheers Michelle

Yep sounds pretty right to me Shannon, PMSL though cos if you have 6 and your house is small, they may be there permanently!

CheersMichelle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12