Thread: Don't like my OB :-(

Default Don't like my OB :-(

OK I realise it's a bit late but I've only been seeing this guy since I was 20wks and I've had maybe 4 appointments due to my holidays and his holidays and I realised today that I don't really like him. He is very bossy and I don't want him telling me what to do while I'm giving birth. Maybe it's just my hormones or something today but I really don't want to see him when I'm in labour at all. I really saw the truth behind that slogan/motto that is mentioned around here about OB's seeing birth as a medical procedure. I'm so jealous of all you gals with a great rapport with your OB's.

I know its pretty late but can you change? I had an ob with DD#1 that I hated and eventually a friend said that I was paying and didn't have put up with it so I changed to a different ob at 20 weeks. I realise that in your case its a bit harder but you need to be happy and if he is maing you unhappy you should try and fix it. Who covers for him when hes away? Can you see them?

I agree, just chnage if you can after all you are paying! i actually decided to go public because after a few Ob app's I decided they all seem to be pushy and about money.. the small hossy I am going through now is fantastic and promotes natural birth where possible etc..

it is possible to change!! doesnt matter how late, if you dont feel comfy iwth them now, how would you feel when you are in labour?

Good luck xx

Did you bite back? If he's bossy, get in his face and stand up to him now - don't wait til your in labour and he will back down. I hate people like that - they try and intimidate you to have their way.

I think I convinced myself that he wasn't going to be there for most of it :-) so it didn't matter but after going through my birth plan today he sounded like he was going to be much more involved. I don't know, I've already paid all the insurance fees etc, maybe I'm just being hormonal today.

Christine - how did you go about changing?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I know plenty of people who change last minute for doctors or midwives who will support their VBAC's, breech etc. You have paid in advance for birth attendance, it can be sorted medically. Dont let it ruin one of the few things in your life you will remember forever.

I think for the little time you spend with Obs, and for the amount you spend on them, money is better spent on a private midwife who is there the whole time and keeps your birth normal. JMO
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks Kelly, how does the private midwife work? Is that in addition to an OB and can they deliver in private hospital?

Sarah, I just rang and said I had moved house and would be changing obs. I had actually moved but wasn't changing hospitals but they didn't ask any questions anyway. You could just say circumstances have changed and you will no longer require his services.

They work as an alternative to or with your Ob. I don't know many in QLD but you can try Chris Vose from Optimum Birth, she is divine, and also Vicki Chan. You guys have it tough in QLD for independent midwives due to the government.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!

Sara, will PM you.
    Kelly xx