Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doppler

Default Doppler

Hello!!

I have a question for you all - what are your thoughts on hiring a doppler?? I know some of you have them and love them and I've only just started thinking it might be a good idea. I think it might help me relax a little as I'm a little worried/anxious/stressed about this pg after loosing the last one, however DH thinks it will stress me out even more - if I can't hear the HB. He doesn't want me to be obsessing about everything and is the kid of guy that just wants to go with the flow and let everything happen naturally. He thinks I'm mad even thinking about it. I don't know what to do as my OB appts are now so far apart (I was closely monitored for the first 12 weeks) and I have a really stressful job and keep worrying that it's hurting the bub. So what are your honest thoughts ladies and for those of you who have them, where did you hire them from??

Thanks.

Kelly xxx

i have one and I LOVE it! Best money ive ever spent. I wouldnt hire as thats a waste of money, I would buy one new or second hand.

I got one off another website 2nd hand in perfect condition for $120 and new they are $200. But worth every single cent.

You are almost 15 weeks and Im a BIG girl and I can get Juniors HB very easily every time. I would be very surprised if you couldnt find the heartbeat.

Let me know if I can help at all

Thanks so much Danni,

I'm really tempted to just do it but everyone thinks I'm completely mad - I don't get it!! I thought it was quite practical and sensible really!!!

We'll see.

Kelly xx

I hired one from 12 weeks with both of my pregnancies
    I've had two missed miscarriages so early pregnancy for me is pretty stressful. I've found the doppler has saved my sanity until I can feel movement - and even after that if baby was having a quiet day it's been good to be able to check on them.
    Never had any problems whatsoever finding the heartbeat - as long as you follow the directions by 15 weeks you shouldn't either.
    I hired mine from First Beats - you can google it to get their website.

Kelly: Many other people told me I was being "paranoid", "over-reacting", "obsessing" etc...they obviously had never had a m/c before, an they obviously werent ttc for a long time either!

Thanks sooo much guys!!

Just googled 'first beats' and hired one!!!! Now I'm really excited and can't wait for it to arrive. I hope it makes it for a delivery tomorrow and I sooo hoe that I can use it properly and find that heartbeat!!!!

If I can't, I'll be on here asking for your help ladies!!!

Kelly xxx

Best advice is lay down flat. If im sitting or standing its very hard. So lay down on your bed, take your pants off and roll your undies down so you dont get the icky stuff on your clothes.

Start at your bottom left hand side of your tummy about an inch above your pubic line, wait a few seconds before moving across towards the right side. Bub should still be fairly low

Great!!

Thank you sooo much - I'm hoping I'll be able to give it a go tomorrow night!!! Will let you know how I go. Ohhhh, I can't wait but am a little nervous already (well nervous in an excited kind of way)!!! Crazy!

Kelly xxx

I really wanted to get one due to the amount of complications and scans I've had this pregnancy, also contractions and still the odd spot of bleeding.

The reason I haven't is because there are no long term studies done on the effect of daily use of them so I've read...I know the companies selling them on ebay recommend use only up to twice a day for that reason.

I'd really love one though, but I was concerned that it would be like getting a small u/s everytime i used it. Apparantly it uses sound waves to measure the HB.
    What do others think about this? I'd really love one for peace of mind, but I don't want to stress about using it either.

I use it once a day maximum. Sometimes a few days in between. I see there is no problem

Hey girls
    Arfter reading all about the girls with the doppler i had to check out the "first beats" site and i have just hired one YAY! i will get it wends, i am so excited cant wait to hear our little girls heart beating away It is the best idear

aww it will be fantastic cant wait
    Take care

Eve

Hello!!!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for all the encouragement!!!

Well.... the doppler arrived today, as promised - so quick - and we have a heartbeat!!! Not that I thought we wouldn't or anything, I just wasn't sure that I'd actually find it. It did take a while though and my god, how many different sounds are there!!! It was really quite hard working out what was the actual heartbeat (or is that just me). Very amazing though and I can't wait to show DH. Might have to give it one more go tonight - I'm sure it will be ok - then I won't use if for a couple of days to make up for it!! I'm amazed at how low down bub is!!

Anyway I am really glad I ordered it and it was pretty amazing being able to let my Mum listen to the heartbeat!! There were definitely tears in both our eyes.

I just want to use it all the time now!! God help me, a new obsession!! It's great though, I'm on a bit of a high, which is exactly what I needed.

Eve - if you pop back in here I'd love to know how you go with it???

Thanks again.

Kelly xxxx

Awww Kelly... I am so happy for you!!
    I wanna hire a doppler now!
    My excuse is because my DH misses all the appointments where I hear the heartbeat because he works such long hours... he never got to hear Noah's heartbeat either.
    Hmmm... Now I am seriously thinking about looking into it.
    Ahhhh, you must be having such a great time listening to your bubba... it is addictive huh?
    Have fun with it
    Lisa

I bought mine off ebay. I've had 3 early M/c's when I was a teenager and so still worry about it when I fall pg. Luckily both my last pgcies ended with healthy children, but you still worry. Dh bought me a small baby heart monitor. One of the angelsounds ones. Because I am so big, it was hard to hear the HB with that, so with jess, I bought a proper doppler. It was a godsend. When she was having a quiet day, I could check she was ok. I loved that DH could bond with her in my tummy by hearing that HB. It was the best investment. Now my 2 Sis IL's are pg and I am happy to lend it to them, only prob is I am out of doppler gel! Need to find somewhere to buy more....

I have just now looked at the first beats site... and I am confused. Where is says "Automatic power-off after 1 minute" does that mean 1 minute of non use, or 1 minute in general... I am thinking that if it shuts off every minute, that would soon get very annoying. AND... how it is powered? Batteries or electricity? I was looking at belly beat website too and they say their ones are run off batteries.
    Sorry to steal the thread of you Kelly... I was just curious

Kerrie, you don't need to use the proper doppler transmission gel with them - ordinary water based lubricants that you get from the shops work just fine.

Lisa, sounds like you have a newer first beats model to me but I reckon it'd mean it turns off after 1 minute of not being used. The one I have runs off batteries... Send them an email if you want a definite answer though, they are very helpful.

Hi Everyone,
    I hired a doppler too last week from FirstBeats and it has been so good to hear the ababy's heart bea. I had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks, so anything that stops me from stressing a lot is really useful to me. I don't use it all the time, once a week and have found it first go every time, lying down is best.
    Enjoy!

I just ordered one too and im only 9 1/2 weeks i hope i can hear it soon tho...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast