Thread: Doppler: Do you own one, do doctors have one

Question Doppler: Do you own one, do doctors have one

Do any of you own a doppler? If so, how much was it and where did you get it from? Is it hard to find the heart beat? When does it start working from? I'm thinking of getting one but DH is worried it will make me more worried if I didn't hear a heart beat.

Does your doctor or medical centre have one? Thanks

Oops one more thing, it is harmful at all to the baby?

Hey Jan,

I have one that bought second hand. Its the deluxe model one sold by Fertily Naturopath online. It has the digital display of the heart rate.

I got to hear Junior's heart beat from 11 weeks. I can find it every time I use it even though it may take a few minutes. You will get to learn the position of bubs.

I paid $100 second hand for mine and I think they around $220 new. HTH

clare076 Guest

You can hire them from a couple of places, the only one I can think of off hand is firstbeats. (google doppler) They are around $39 to $49 per month to hire and about $300 to buy.
    I never used one with my previous preg as DP also thought I would panic too much if I couldn't find the HB, however after 8 weeks of persistant bleeding with Max I dont think I could worry any more.
    I will definately be getting one for my next pregnancy. I don't think you can hear HB for at least 10 weeks (once bubs moves out of the pelvis) and most come with instructions so you can determine the difference between maternal blood flow and bubs.
    And No, they are not harmful to the baby, although majorly addictive for the mother.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

My midwife (in public hospital) put one on my stomach every single visit, it was so amazing (and reassuring) to hear tiny bilby's heartbeat, especially in the beginning, before the bub starts kicking. Especially after the amioncentesis test i had to have, hearing her heartbeat go clip clop was just priceless reassurance.

I thought only movie stars had DOpplers! Had so idea that they were (relatively) so inexpensive. I still wouldn't have bought one, but this is an intersting thread. I think if i had it in the house, i'd be using it every day, it IS comforting to hear the baby's heartbeat!

Maybe if i had pregnancy complications (history of miscarriage) i'd consider buying one. well that's just me, whatever floats your boat i reckon!

My doctor uses a doppler every visit from about 9 weeks and has never had a problem getting heart beat but having said that i had a checkup at the hospital and the midwife put it on and it took about 3 minutes to find the heart beat. It really depends on the operator. I love hearing the heartbeat but personally wouldn't buy one because i think it would become addictive and possibly a source of further anxiety if i had trouble finding heart beat one time. just my opinion. Some are better than others - like all electronic equipment.

I looked into buying one, they have a few online and on ebay but as you can't hear hb until 10-12 wks anyway I didn't end up getting one. I started feeling moment with this one at 12-14wks so after that I had my own personal checking system :-)

Sweetpeajan
    I bought one off Ebay. My DH was also worried it would worry me more. And he was right. Unlike Danni - I couldn't find the heartbeat with mine - although I could see the display which told me what the HB was. Needless to say I freaked out completely and I've never used it again. My ob uses one on me every visit and now the baby is moving I don't need the reassurance.
    It might be a good idea to hire before you buy just in case you are as clutzy as I am with using it.

Kar: thats funny because I barely get a reading on mine! i Just go by the sound as I know what he sounds like now

My doc uses one each and every visit. I haven't bought one although I have been guilty of using my stethescope to listen to baby movements (not heart beat). Most of the time I don't even think about it - I even get surprised when I go to the doc and she does it - even though she does it ever visit! But if I'm bored or avoiding study.... out comes the stethescope!
    *if* i were going to buy one though, I would rent one first and see if I liked it before forking out the money to purchase one. I'd definatly get one off EBay...

HTH

MG

Danni - maybe we should swap dopplers for a week! LOL!

Do a search of the BellyBelly site and you'll find lots of threads about the potential effects of dopplers on babies.

I bought a first beats one (rented it until the purchase price was paid off) during my PG with Kynan and found his HB around 11-12w. I approached it with the expectation that it would be difficult to locate a HB until well into the 2nd tri so that I wouldn't be too worried or disappointed if I couldn't find it. I have used it for this PG too. I try not to use it unless I am starting to really get stressed, so maybe once every 5-7 days and that naturally stretches out a bit the further into the PG I get and the more movement I feel.

Personally I have found it to be invaluable, especially after having 2 m/c (including a late missed m/c). I also have a medical condition which contributed to my losses and which stress can cause to flare up so having major stress outs doesn't help anything LOL.

All midwives would have a doppler I'd think. My GP has one as well but it can take a couple of weeks sometimes to get an appt to see him.

HTH.

hi,

i hired one for the month from First beats at around 12 weeks. my doctor could never find the heartbeat and i was stressing. it was the best spent money ever, i managed to find it in about 5 mins and it was always there when i used it later. i didn't do it everyday like i thought i would and then i was around 14 weeks when i started feeling movements. Renting is cheaper than buying and i really only needed it until i felt bub move. i will be renting one again for our next bub.

treena