Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dopplers!!

Cool Dopplers!!

Can anyone recommend a good doppler?

Thanks

I dont think they work really til after 12+ wks maybe 15???

So keep an eye on Ebay or other places for them....

Correct Tracey - my Ob used one on my belly at 14 weeks 1 day and only just managed to get a "reading" and I have a HUGE preggie belly (giving birth to an elephant or whale). I would def keep an eye on ebay Danni - or chat to your midwife/doc at your first appt for suggestions...

Congrats by the way!

MG

MB I was well & truly showing by 10wks with #2..

Pls started asking me how far I was & how much longer I had to go at about 15-17wks & almost fell over hwen I told them & I was even told I was having more than 2 for certain by elderly women!!!!

I bet you'll stop popping out all of a sudden & others will catch up!!! hee hee

Yeah I know I have to wait a while before I use it but I remember there being a discussion about some of them only being "sound amplifiers" rather than dopplers?

Kirsty77 Guest

I know a few people who've bought them off ebay and have had no probs with them.

I can't recommend a doppler, but my GP/OB used a doppler today (I'm 12.6 weeks) and we clearly heard our little babies heart beat, i don't know if it depends on the quality of the doppler.

I got one off Ebay when I was pg with Tehya, also resold it there. I got mine for around $60. Only problem is that for most of the time it really didn't work for me as I had an anterior placenta, meaning that the placenta was on the front wall of the uterus. This tends to muffle any sounds and alot of small movements.

If you want to rent one, the ones that are rented by First Beats are excellent.
    They are the proper medical ones that middies and doctors use. They're very new and I've found them better than the one my GP uses in terms of sensitivity and sound quality.
    I used them with both pregnancies and could get the hb from 12 weeks with both. I've got an anterior placenta with this bub and still haven't had any problem hearing him with these dopplers.

thanks guys. I had a look at the rental ones but it seems so excessive in price. I may as well buy a new one. I dont think I am happy to spend $400 though...maybe $200?

I decided against it and luckily because the first doppler reading where they heard anything on this one was at 24 weeks. I have an anterior placenta and no one was able to get a reading. They often wheeled the ultrasound in to make sure bubs was still alive and her heart was okay but she would hide or kick & move everytime the doppler came on obviously avoiding it. Even now when I have midwives appt and they put the doppler on, they may get 10 seconds or so of a HR but bubs really hates it because she kicks it & tries to get away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by christy
    They often wheeled the ultrasound in to make sure bubs was still alive and her heart was okay but she would hide or kick & move everytime the doppler came on obviously avoiding it. Even now when I have midwives appt and they put the doppler on, they may get 10 seconds or so of a HR but bubs really hates it because she kicks it & tries to get away from it.
    And people say that babies are not affected by ultrasound! Dopplers are short for "doppler ultrasound" and thus suffer all the disadvantages standard ultrasound. I am surprised that some people in this thread want to buy or rent them for their own use. They are highly useful as diagnostic tools when required, but should, like any diagnostic technology be used sparingly.

David

But I wont be able to feel my baby moving until atleast about 17 weeks is that right? But I may be able to hear the heartbeat a lot sooner.

I would prefer the peace of mind knowing my bub is alive and well.

well said fletch.

Danni and Fletch I can totally understand where you are coming from, the peace of mind can be worthwhile especially with stress can affect your baby just as much. I guess I just wanted to say as well was that some babies don't like them & sometimes even the "experts" can't get HR on dopplers early on. I had so many people trying on Jovie & its only been recently almost in the 3rd trimester that anyone has been able too. Now if I were at home & couldn't get readings I would freak out big time... so I guess that is why I am glad I didn't have one.

Thats a great point, thanks christy. But I just have to try. I cant explain how overwhelming this pregncny is

Quote Originally Posted by chelleg
    They're kind of a false positive. Perhaps they can be reassuring but baby moving is just as reassuring, perhaps even more reassuring as changes in fetal behaviour are usually detected before a change in fetal heart rate is seen.)
    Chelle, I agree with you.

Some women (and men too I have to admit) are relying on birth technologies that provide false reassurance. If you are relying on a doppler to hear the babies heart rate then surely you can only be certain the baby is alive when you are listening to the doppler?

This is patently absurd. Women know when their baby is happy and kicking and they know when their baby is sleeping and still. The terrible unfortunate truth about pregnancy and birth is that BAD things to happen (usually very rarely) and babies do die in utero and dopplers won't stop it. The best monitor for a baby is its Mum.

It is interesting that in the USA they have moved to ban the private ownership of ultrasound machines (including dopplers) owing to their effect on babies. I think it was Tom Cruise who bought one as a gift for his wife!

Cheers,

David

Hang on David, did you miss my post?

I want to be able to hear the HB before I can feel my baby moving.

Sorry David. When you've had not one, but TWO missed miscarriages involving no bleeding, cramping or any other indication that you'd lost a baby perhaps you might see an alternative viewpoint.

Danni - that is when I found it of most benefit - before I could feel the baby moving Now that I can feel him moving I hardly use it all. And I certainly dont' use it for my own "entertainment".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast